Friday, January 4, 2019

1/4/19 Visiting My Dad At The Hospital?

    My dad is now spending a lot more time in the hospital than he thought he would.  His worst ailment is a little pneumonia, but that has weakened him to a point where he has had a little trouble even walking.  We came in Thursday afternoon, thinking we could make it in a little earlier than our effort on Wednesday, but still didn't get up to his room until almost 6:00pm.  We waited for Boy to get out of work before we started getting dressed, which again is not a great excuse, but I figured they had said there were not specific hours to visit, so we could come and go at whatever time.   Although I did not want to be there as late as we were the first night when we didn't leave until after 1:00am.
    Last night we left around 9:30pm, which was good as we stopped to eat at Denny's and it wasn't freakishly late.  Boy and Javalina were with us and that is always nice.  We had not eaten at a Denny's since the early 90's when they got some bad TV coverage of being racist, in an almost ironic twist, we found the people eating there at that hour to be 90% Hispanic.  If they still have a racist slant, it is not against our green money, which is the language and color we all love and understand.  By the way, the service was not great, other than the gentleman who sat us gave us the table next to us to "stretch out."  I hate being crowded and I loved this idea.
    We got home at around midnight, I was already sleeping and couldn't help but get up and lay down.  Somewhere along the past week, we've decided to turn on the heater as some nights have been really cold, so the house didn't feel so miserable last night.  I got up at 8:00am to try and write this, but only got as far as the title.  I went back to bed when Boy got up, he went to work, poor guy, he has been working up to 10 hour days.  We didn't get up until almost 3:00pm, and then got dressed up in a hurry.  It sucked, because we drove to SA in rush hour traffic, so nobody was going fast.
    My mom had called while I was getting ready to see if I would stay with my dad overnight.  I got a little hesitant because he is a bit of a pain in the ass.  While there, he fidgets in bed, wants to sit up every 15-20 minutes, then lay down, then pee, then lay down, then he is hot, then he is cold, then he is thirsty, then something on and on.  I said I would because I know my mom has been there two days and I didn't want my dad to be alone.  Better to be a pain with family than with the nursing staff, I think.
    I don't know that I am capable of doing the job, but as they say, "throw me in the deep end and see what happens."  I know my mom needs a break, there is a ton of stuff going on at home with the approaching quince of my niece and this is going to slow things down a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment