Wednesday, January 16, 2019

1/16/19 DIet Is Working Almost too Good?

    We are back to dieting and after thinking about it for awhile, we decided on doing Atkins, more or less.  We started last week, and it is not just Wife and I doing it, but Javalina decided he wanted to do it too.  I am not sure he needs to be doing anything too radical, he has been stretching and not looking so "chubby baby" lately.  But if we can teach him new habits of eating, then why not?
    I know people roll their eyes at the idea of dieting, but I have had luck in the past.  In college, I lost 80-100 pounds playing basketball and starving myself pretty much all the time.  It worked until I became an "engineer" here and could afford to go out to eat, then it was eating out all the time which put me back in the 300 pound region.  These last two years after I hurt my leg and then just kind of tuning out for the past year, the weight just kept stacking up.  When we started last weekend, I weighed myself and the scale read 430 pounds.  That is a lot and it was scarier with Dad in the hospital and thinking "what if I end up there with a heart attack, what excuse will I have?"  Wife and I discussed it and decided this would be the easiest because we are familiar with what to do.  We both lost like 30-40 pounds when she got pregnant with Javalina.  We dieted because we were going to New Orleans on a vacation with friends.
    The hardest part is not eating out.  We are used to picking up the boy from school and eating at either Bill Miller, Taco Bell, Wendy's, Whataburger, and a handful of other places.  I guess the places aren't healthy, but I didn't see a big problem with them.  I have never been a great cook, but lately I have been doing some nice looking meals starting with a piece of meat, and making a salad next to it.  This week, I have started adding a portion of vegetables which come from a frozen bag, but still.  I guess cutting out the huge sodas and the fried food has already let me loose like 14 pounds.  I realize it is mostly water retention that is going, but I also started lifting weights with Javalina and walking at work, starting with a mile a night.  I would love to be under 400 by the time we go to the Quince at the end of the month, but that may be a bit much.  Javalina is loving the working out and so far the home cooked meals are delicious, if not a little time consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment