Wednesday, September 6, 2017

9/6/17 Scary Movies Still Scare?

    There was a point in my youth when I saw scary movies, for the girlfriends.  I guess that puts me back to the late 80's early 90's.  My first girlfriend wanted to meet at our local theater to view one of the first Nightmare on Elm Street movies and I remember hating that.  It was the summer between junior high and high school and I was not quite driving enough to take the car, but when the lure of a girlfriend starts, can a horny young guy say no?
    There I was, after the movie, I don't even think it ended well, now that I think about it, that might have been the night we broke up, but nevertheless, I now had the thoughts of a really scary movie, midnight coming up and having to walk home alone (this was all before the convenience of cell phones).  She had taken a friend or cousin with her, they were acting like they were high and then there was a group of other older guys they were talking to, so I ejected myself from the situation.  Anyhow, I remember talking myself one street light to another, luckily, in our small town we live the equivalence of about three blocks from the police station and it is in the center of town where the movie theater was at.  The darkness wasn't the only thing that sucked, the worst was the dogs who nobody believed in keeping behind a fence or chained up, if you walked to town, there was a good chance you were going to be chased by freaking dogs one way or the other.  Eventually I made it home, and that was that.
    This week, It from Stephen King comes out and Wife has been angling to see it.  She is one of those that likes being scared and she found it hilarious that when we went to see Dark Tower a couple weeks ago, Chubs and I were holding arms all scared at the creepy clowns.  I told her it'll be a cold day in hell when you get me to see something like that.  There is no gain for me, so you are on your own.  She is sure she is going to convince me, I don't think so.
    I went home for lunch and I thought it weird that Girlie showered and came down to eat a bowl of cereal with me while I ate some leftover sausages from the weekend.  We talked for a bit and then I washed the dishes, she said goodnight, as I like to take about a 30min nap as well.  She was in her room with a light on and the door cracked open, I stopped to give her some mail and offered to turn off her light, she said no.  Huh?  Why?  She went and saw Annabelle: Creation and now she was scared.  She sounded like a 5yr old saying she usually tries to cover her face when the scary parts start, but there were some creepy dolls staring from the screen and they creeped her out.  She says even showering her hair, she kept one eye open.  I just said Silly girl, that's what you get for watching those type of movies.
    I have never understood the interest of seeing people mutilated as if it were a sport.  The worst is that the asshole bad guy never seems to die.  How many times has Jason been killed, only to see another Friday the 13th slasher movie.  The Nightmare on Elm Street theme that he only came when you fell asleep is kind of genius if you're trying to scare someone, but what is the purpose of activating that part of your brain?  I understand the pleasure sensors, the gluttonous aspect, but what is gained when you are scared?  A little adrenaline in your system?  Blahhh, fuck that.

No comments:

Post a Comment