Tuesday, September 5, 2017

9/5/17 New Generation, Lame Or Genius?

    I was jumping into the Excursion today and a thought of weirdness went through me.  It felt like I was the only idiot that managed to work on Labor Day.  Not that I blame the adults and grown-ups, but this next generation of lazy shits is who I was thinking about.  Boy spent the whole weekend in San Antonio at a comic convention, which by itself is great, I don't mind Mijo having a little fun, but he comes back and the first words out of his mouth are "can we borrow the Excursion next Spring to go to a convention in Georgia?  It is one of the biggest in the world, according to him.  I just said "uhh, if it is running OK, I guess."
    It wasn't much different from Dirty Dog who might be slowing down in the rotation of women, but I swear he's going to be a father soon.  I just hope he likes condoms as much as he likes variety in his girls.  Girlie had been good for the past month, going out either with her family or her girlfriends but coming home early, as in before midnight, but I guess this was a holiday weekend and she went out with a different girlfriend who I think drinks too much, but whatever.  She stayed out all night, texting around 11:00pm that she was ok and then texting in the morning to say that she stayed at her friend's house.  She didn't come in until 8:00pm or so the next day.
    My point, I know that was long, but a little background is good, is when are these kids going to be ready to buy their own houses?  It's not even that I want them to leave, DD says I'm like the father he never had and he respects me a bunch, and of course Girlie has been like part of the family since she was 4 or so.  Wife says it is a new generation thing.  They are not interested in things like permanence or stability.  They could just as happily accept life in an apartment as life in a house.  I personally am not wanting Boy to leave our guardianship until he is done with school and even pays back his school loans, I mean what is the rush to get in debt, but also we were in their age bracket when we got our own house.  I guess I should be happy that at least these kids we are "watching" have not ended up pregnant because that is the great goose egg in life.  It is the equivalence of opening a door on a game show and getting the sad trombone wah wah wah.  Nothing to do but grow up, in a jiffy.
    I don't even know how these kids are going to afford homes when everything seems to be getting more and more expensive.  The median home price in Austin right now is between $279,000 and $332,000, depending on who you listen to, but either is still a lot for these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment