Thursday, September 21, 2017

9/21/17 Maturing In My New Department?

    I have been in chemistry now for half a year or so.  It has gotten to the point where I can do most of the things I am supposed to.  Of course that means that since I have gotten comfortable, it is only right they throw more responsibilities at me.  I've been gathering data from day one, meaning I run the tool, it produces data, then someone with more experience looks at it and makes a report.  I casually asked when I was supposed to move to the next step of completing all the work, this after I worried about finishing a job last night to get credit for HOT status and getting paid the double rate or whatever only to have the job fall between the cracks and nobody finalized the report.  These are shenanigans that should not happen.  If we can get $400 instead of $200 for a job we do, we should make sure we do what we can to get the $400, or whatever the price of these jobs are.
    Another scenario I ran into was going to lunch and having the tool shut off.  I was shown one time how to bring it up, so I very gingerly tried to bring it up, but the plasma never turned on.  All the switches are color coded and everything looked right, as far as green versus red lights, but the plasma was still not on.  Another option I have been told I have is to run the other tool.  The weird story is that when I tried training over here a few years ago, this was the tool I would have taking over.  Everything seems smaller over here, starting with the monitor.  I cannot fit everything I normally use on the screen.  If I thought this would become a normal thing I would move the monitor.  The one we normally use is wider so more stuff fits as far as data and stuff on the screen.  I believe this tool is also using an older version of windows as everything looks a little derpy, you know bigger and clumsier.  I would have left it to sit, but I was told the work was HOT, so if there is a way to do it, I will try my best.
    What bothers me a bit is like I have mentioned, I started getting trained over here a couple years ago.  It was going well, but the geniuses up top wanted to hire a new person, you know, to pay them less.  I have always said "dance with the one that brung ya, Idiot!"  Like spending money on an unknown in Boston, spend extra money on your core, we aren't going anywhere.  We are all old and Austinites who love the freedom of working here.  We went through the trouble of training a new young gal, I was sent back to imaging like a present on Christmas that is unwanted on the 26th only to see all that training and effort take a new job in New York or some shit doing exactly what we trained her to do the last 2-3 years.  She did cry on her way out, so she was upset, but not enough to stay with us old farts.  Oh well, I hear tell that all that extra work we were supposed to get starting in the summer is getting ready to explode on us.  All I need is an opportunity,  if given that, I have no doubt I can still make the same amount of money I usually make, just get out of my way, por favor.  We're down another person, so that might be good, for me, and me is still my favorite person.

No comments:

Post a Comment