Wednesday, September 20, 2017

9/20/17 Life Doesn't Care About Your Plans?

    I was talking to my friend from UT tonight explaining how I am in the chemistry group and it is both interesting and exciting that after twenty years I am doing something different and exciting, yet still related to what I have always done.  She said she was so out of touch with the sciences, she didn't know what I was doing.  I felt a little bad because back in the UT days she got a chemistry and a biochemistry degree.  I even managed to get her a job here after I had been working here a few years.  unfortunately, she did not survive the closings of the old Fabs and was soon out of a job.  I thought she could have tried harder, such as applying in the other fabs in town, but eventually she went back to her hometown and taught chemistry in high school.  I guess that is alright, but the worst part was moving to California and only being able to substitute, something about needing a master's degree over there to teach.  I am not sure about all that.  She is now living in Dallas and I thought there might be opportunity there but she said she was teaching Spanish and only 1 class of chemistry.  I guess she is happy, but I would be miserable surrounded by little shits.
    I don't think was ever woke up saying I want to be Director of blah blah blah, it just kind of turned out that way.  Her decisions have been driven by a desire to have the boys schedule of holidays and summers off.  At a certain point, she got to where she could make serious money and not only is she not with the kids schedule, she is not even in town.  It was a decision we both discussed at length, and last year was fine.  Knowing though, that she has a job on the table, and for the same amount of money is making me antsy.  I am having a hard time keeping up with band meetings and football practices, and band practices early in the morning, so thinking she could be hear helping is really making me miss her.  I already know there will be a breaking in period.  Every time she comes up, she starts with the nagging and the "momming" that we need to do this and that.  I say there's no roaches in the house, we aren't doing that bad.
    Boy could possibly be derailed from his plans.  He is a straight up nerd and I know would be happy in some research type place, but Alamo Drafthouse where he has been working for a few years now has told him that they want to offer him a full time job and career when he graduates.  I am afraid that if they throw $50,000 in his direction, he will stay with them.  I guess these are first world problems, but I want him doing what he wants, not settling as I did because I needed to make money for a family.  We shall see, this is why I am not really pushing him to date, so he can focus on finishing school and making decisions good for him, not a wife and kid(s).

No comments:

Post a Comment