Friday, April 8, 2022

4/7/22 Taking Both Vehicles In For Repairs?

     I don't blame the mechanics, but what is the pint of wanting to the customer to make appointments if when we get there, they still won't be able to see the car for a couple of days?  I tried being the good customer yesterday, we have been having a problem with our Ford Escape, so I called and tried setting up an appointment.  They no longer offer the courtesy shuttle to take people home and although Kia paid for my Lyft ride, I was not about to do the same out of Ford next door and pay out of my pocket.  Knowing Wife was going to be off on Friday, I made the appointment for Friday morning, hoping they would look at it Friday and maybe get it repaired by Saturday.  The service guy straight away told me they wouldn't even be looking at the car until probably Monday.  I asked, "why then do we go through the motion of setting up appointments, if they really mean nothing?"  He said the appointment was so we could speak to the service technician and hand off the car.  I didn't want to be rude, it's not like it'll help me get my car back any faster.  I just said thank you, but I am not really satisfied with the whole exchange.

    Knowing I am going to be without that car for a certain amount of time, we then had to figure out what solutions exist for us.  I had not wanted to tackle fixing the Excursion because it just feels like pissing away money on something I shouldn't have to.  Still, the choice would be to rent a car, if we can even find one, use Lyft/Uber (not something I want to do for work or pick up my kid), or just ask for a couple days off, but Mijo still needs to go to school.  I figured now was a good a time as any to bite the bullet and get my Excursion back on the road.  It took about 4 hours of charging to get the battery with enough juice to fire up and start, then I took it to Midas.  I was hoping it would have been cheaper than it is going to be, but they did give me two choices.  The quick one was to bolt on a catalytic converter, it is their best fix, but it costs $2000 plus tax.  The second choice required ordering some parts so I would have to wait until Tuesday, and it would cost around $1750.  I decided to just get it done quickly, so I would have my Excursion operating and useful by tonight.

    Currently, we are both waiting for Baby A to get out of school, as I write this on Friday (a day late), but the guy said it would be ready before 6:00pm, when they close.  Hopefully, by next week, all three vehicles are back to running properly.  I told Wife to get on the phone and get her windshield fixed, so the Telluride looks a lot better.  It has had a crack running all along the bottom of the front glass.

    I tell you, if it isn't one thing, it's another.  Problems never seem to end.

No comments:

Post a Comment