Wednesday, April 20, 2022

4/19/22 Can We Cheer For Other Kids?

     Baby A is all jock, all the time.  There is no stopping him when he is doing the sports he likes.  His coaches voted him outstanding lineman on his team, he made all-district team the last two years in football, and he made regional alternate in wrestling.  All that is great, and we have enjoyed cheering for him every step of the way, until we got to track and field.

    I guess he made a deal with his friend that he would join track if he joined wrestling.  Mijo says he had no interest in track and field, he finds the sport kind of boring.  I figure anything doing is worth doing right, but I guess we don't all feel the same way.  Either way, he made his deal, and he stuck to it.  His friend did wrestle, which was good for Mijo in that he had a big sparring partner, and then he turned around and did shotput, which helped to keep the fun going into the track and field season.

    I can definitely tell they have been having a good time together, every time I went and caught them a little early at practice, they'd be wrestling and joking around, it helps that the coach is very laid back, and since she was trying to coach the 6-8 boys on JV and varsity and the girls, which was about the same number, they had time to goof around on the side while someone else was throwing.  This went on during some of the meets as well, these boys can't keep their hands to themselves, I kind of like their "boy" energy.

    In all this, I guess the friend was taking it more seriously, as he did keep improving, and from the start of the season throwing 31ft to the end at the district meet throwing 38ft 1in, he showed a lot of improvement and is fortunate enough to be going to area this week.  Mijo said he threw over 40ft at practice, so he is still improving.

    I was at the meet, about the only parent that has shown up to all the track and field meets, at least for the shotput and discus events, and it was great to see the rest of the Crockett boys cheer for him, they were a happy bunch.  I have now been jokingly referring to him as my "Champion" to tease Baby A and I told him it will remain like that until he shows me, he is the better athlete.

    Over the weekend, we had a batch of boys spending the night, we have some shotputs that I bought when Mijo started high school, and Mijo gave one to his friend so he can practice at home.  I like that, since my boy doesn't have the interest in it anymore.  I also ordered a shirt for him that has a picture in the mode of those Mexican playing cards, but it is a shotput guy.  I love that Amazon makes getting stuff like that so easy, nowadays.  We'll see how our Champion does this week.



No comments:

Post a Comment