Sunday, April 17, 2022

4/17/22 Cougar Car Show?

     Well, the car show is a wrap, and overall, they called it a success.  I, maybe, built it up in my head a bit, but it was ok, I thought.  This was something completely out of left field for my head to process, when I heard of it, but I am open to new things.  This is, after all, a booster club for high school level kids, why would we incorporate low riders and noisy ass Mustangs anywhere near the children?

    My initial reaction was to pull away (I don't know anything about the low rider lifestyle and loud ass Mustangs annoy me), but my curiosity got the best of me, and I found myself sticking around to see this to its conclusion.  As it turned out, the car show was scheduled on the Saturday of Easter Weekend.  The excuse to avoid participating was easy, just saying we would be out of town visiting family, maybe drop off some sodas, and wish them well.  The problem is Wife has been pushing for us to go to the booster club meetings and listening to the efforts and enthusiasm the people have made me want to see this club succeed.

    I told Wife I had a change of heart and instead of leaving on Friday out of town, we should show up and participate, help out any way we can, and see what transpired.  I am kind of glad we did stay, not necessarily for the success, but to see the kids doing their thing.  There were maybe a total of 80 cars involved, they were hoping for at least 100, so that seemed close, and they were wanting to see at least 13 football players, and there were easily more than 20 players, representing in their jerseys.  I would have liked to have seen a bigger crowd of spectators to give it more of a party feel to it, but for a first time doing this, I think it was about what should have happened.  The boys had a blast, at one point, boys being boys, were going one on one, in the grass seeing who could push each other back and show dominance.  I like the cocky young freshmen talking smack to the upperclassmen and then the big boys putting them in their place.

    We helped in all sorts of ways (we had Mijo and four other boys with us).  We helped set up the snack area (arranging the soda and water cases and put up the canopies), we sent some boys over to help with traffic control, Wife was helping when cars came and pointing to go towards the registration area, I just floated and did what I could here and there.

    The overall goal for the booster club had been to make $2000 to be able to buy black football pants to have some more options for the uniforms and we made that goal, we were told as we were driving out of town.  Events like this really take a lot out of a person, we were wore out after it was all done.  Our plan was to drive to my folks after the event, but when we got home, all three of us laid down, and I slept for about two hours after taking a quick shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment