Wednesday, April 13, 2022

4/13/22 District 17-5A Track and Field Meet?

     Today was the district meet for Crockett and the rest of the Austin 5A schools.  I am lucky in that I go to work in the afternoon and even then, I can fluctuate when I actually go in, if something is going on.  I therefore get to be very involved in Mijo's sports endeavors and today, it was shotput.  I wish I could say he was at the top of the group, but he was not, and I don't think it bothered him that he did not excel.  He told us at the beginning of the season that he was just going to do it to keep up his conditioning and stay active.  He kept saying he was not trying to be the best, I hate that attitude, personally, if you are going to do something, do it well, or don't bother.

    I could make excuses, because they were on the wrestling team, most of the shotput and discus gang started about three weeks late.  Add to that, our boy had not thrown the shotput since his freshman year, and I remember the season was cut short, that is when they went on Spring Break and did not come back to school for a whole year.  It was no surprise that he was rusty and add unmotivated and you get the results of today.  Mijo threw a best of 31ft and some change.  Sounds ok, but the winner threw closer to 42 ft.  One of his teammates did manage to throw 38ft and 1in and that got him a 3rd place finish, which was cool.  Mijo was dancing and high fiving him in celebration.  It was nice to see one of our boys get a podium finish.

    Baby A did not throw the discus in competition, but he practiced with the other guys, so when it was time for them to throw, we walked over and saw that for a couple hours.  It took that long because first it was the JV squads competing, then the varsity boys did their thing.  We got lucky in that one of our sophomores placed 3rd and another placed 8th, which I say that was pretty good.  We were not as lucky in the varsity edition.  There were more than 20 throwers, and our boys did not even place any in the top 8.

    It was a freakishly hot and humid day, like it wanted to rain, but it didn't, which sucked.  Once the boys got done with that, we decided to get out of there, opting to go eat at Red Robin, which the boys seem to like.  I got a salad, I took two of Mijo's friends with us, which made for an entertaining meal, once I could focus on what they were talking about, and I wasn't so obsessed with blowing cold air in my face with the menu.  The food was good, but all good things must end, and I still had to go to work and start my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment