Thursday, April 14, 2022

4/14/22 Money Always Going Out?

     We got the bill for the repairs on our Ford Escape, and it is right where I thought it would be, a little over $2000.  Since I am having the inspection, an oil change and the repairs, it is more like $2200 plus taxes.  If I add to that the fact I just spent $2300 to fix my Excursion after having its catalytic converter stolen in December, and we are spending close to $5000 to get our two older vehicles back on the road.  The question to ask before we agree to the additional costs are, "should we just trade it in and get a new car?"

    If this was pre Covid times, I would say yes, I would have already done it, probably.  The problem nowadays is the dealerships are taking advantage of this time and by reducing inventories, whether manufactured or real, has made vehicle prices skyrocket.  This on top of supposed inflation, which makes our money not worth as much, and I personally have still not seen a raise in 10-12 years, and all I see is a slow "raping", financially.

    The lone silver lining is that vehicles are vary hardy nowadays, my Excursion needed repairs because of some "Shit People", it didn't fail on its own.  Once fixed, I am hoping it goes on strong for another few years, after getting it going and making the A/C cold again, Wife was even talking about going out of town in it.  I do miss those long trips we took, years ago (seems like we don't go anywhere anymore).  If this repair fixes a known problem on the Escape for a few more years, then $2000 is not that bad, overall.  I am not sure I really want it to be the car for Mijo, but he can learn to drive on it, and Wife can use it to limit the miles we put on our newer Telluride.

    I guess it just makes sense right now, as much as it seems to hurt, spending roughly $5000 to get both vehicles running will still be a lot cheaper than buying even a used Ranger, which don't seem to get below $30,000.  Maybe inventories improve in a year and prices come down, I don't think these prices are sustainable, nobody I know has bought a new car. I figure prices will have to come down or I might have to shop for cheaper priced cars, who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment