Wednesday, April 27, 2022

4/27/22 Wrestling Is Not On Hiatus?

     Here we are thinking it is a long time before wrestling season starts again, yet I find that wrestling never ended over there where all the kids that advanced are located.  It annoys me and excites me to find this information.  It is annoying because this is why our kids don't stand a chance against the Leander, Dripping Springs kids, but it excites me that I can show the possibility to Baby A, and it will be up to him if he wants to step into a huge commitment.

    I found some local (local being over by Lake Travis) private wrestling programs after watching a bit too many wrestling Youtube videos and getting excited about next season and wishing our Crockett kids could continue wrestling and practicing somehow.  I decided to be proactive and sent an email, there was no phone number, only an email, and asked if there were any camps or what was their method of training.  The guy responded within a few minutes and gave me a number, so I called, and he answered right away.  There was no pussy footing with this guy, he asked what my son's goals were, I said he needs to get better technique-wise, and I would like him to attend some camps (thinking that is what happens during the summer).  He said they are a year-round program, with 4 practices a week and he expects his athletes to be there and be committed.  I then asked if he had other heavyweights to make it worth his while, it would suck if he is training with a bunch of 140 pound kids.  He said he had about 4, including the 6th place all state kid this year.  Ok, that is kind of impressive, for sure.

    I thanked him for the information and told him we would discuss it and get back to him.  It is such a delicate time and there are only so many minutes in a day.  Baby A is already committed to football practice which will be kicking his ass.  He wants to fit in a driver's ed class, saying he wants his driver's license so he can drive himself to and from school.  He was talking to Wife about taking his second language course during the summer, he did sign language for the first one, so he needs to do a second semester of that.  Plus, this will be his senior year, we don't want him to spend all his time in the gym, and then graduate and realize he never had any free time or fun.  If the wrestling was next door or within a five minute drive, it would be one thing, but this place will take a good hour to get to, I am not sure about committing to doing that even 3 times a week.

    Still, it bothers me that those kids have a wrestling meet every weekend in April and May and on and on.  That is a huge advantage for someone that is really into the sport.  These are things I wish we knew about when he was in junior high, or even earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment