Sunday, April 17, 2022

4/16/22 New Summer, Same Shitty A/C?

     I can't believe it is starting again.  We installed new air conditioners November of 2020, so they are a year and a half old, more or less, right now, and I am not happy with their reliability or install or whatever it is that keeps the problems coming back.  It has not even gotten hot yet, and it appears the problems have started already.

    I was happily walking out of the bedroom, after just having been with wife, you know the five minutes of what it means to be a married man, when I noticed an error message on the thermostat screen.  Ugh..., was all I could say to myself, acting like I didn't see it and kind of hoping it went away.  This was Friday around noon, we were going to be busy all day Saturday and gone on Sunday to visit my folks.  If I started calling, they might need us to be there the next day, I figured.  Wife, on the other hand, does not think like me.  She came out, noticed the same error and within a second gave the dreaded cry "Babe!"  "Ughh,,,, yeah?"  "Did you see the A/C screen?" she asked, with that tone like a storm just starting.  "Yeah..." I said, knowing what was coming.  "Well, why haven't you called?" as the mini directors voice turns to a high pitched shrill.

    I called and laid it on thick about having so many problems last year, four, if I remembered correctly, and it was barely the beginning of summer, and are we going to be doing the same thing all over again?"  She looked up our account and verified it was four times last year, someone would come and look at our system before the end of the day, no charge, they would just consider it an ongoing problem from last season. 

    The tech came around 4:00pm, and it took him a couple hours, I think it was more his mistake, but he replaced a part that has now been replaced twice after the original one.  The tech has his supervisor on speaker phone guiding him through testing the wires, so I asked him "what is going to happen in 6 months or so when the next box goes out, am I going to have to be buying these at a cost of $200-$300 every time?  I know the system won't be under warranty forever.  He said those boxes, which communicate between the thermostat on the wall and the unit in the closet are guaranteed for 10 years by Lennox.  I said "great, but what do I do when it goes out next time?"  He said to call and ask for him.  I took his name down, and I do not expect to be paying for any service calls if another one is needed this summer.  I personally think this unit, the upstairs one, is a lemon.  The one downstairs is identical and it hasn't had any problems yet.

    I was dreading the worst when I saw the message on the screen, but Fox was good at dealing with the issue within the same day, and we did not get charged.  The supervisor guy tried to make me feel better that the last box, communication hub, was not wired properly (but how did it work well enough for the last 6 months?), and that this one was going to be fine now.  At this point, I can just say "OK, we'll see."

No comments:

Post a Comment