Tuesday, April 26, 2022

4/26/22 Another Fox Visit For Our Overpriced Air Conditioners?

     Lenox doesn't make them like they used to, I guess, if they were ever any good.  We installed a couple of new 5-ton units November of 2020, and they were big and beautiful.  The price was a bit of a sticker shock at $25,000, but after talking with my mom and she said they had just installed a new slightly smaller unit for $10,500, I figured we weren't that far off on the price.  One thing that ALWAYS bothers me is when I have the conversation over with my Wife's side of the family, there is always an "expert" at whatever, "oh yeah, I could have gotten you the same units for $3000."  "Mm-hmmm" is really all I can say.  Same with cars, same with anything we have ever bought, shit gets kind of old, but anyways.

    Well, the units have been lackluster, at best.  When they are working, they are freaking great, last month, our light bill was $36.  We do have solar panels, but we had not seen those kinds of savings with our old units.  We don't even open the windows hardly anymore, before I was always trying to save a couple of dollars and we would turn off the units if the weather was going to stay under 80, now we run them whether it's hot or cold.  The problem is when they go down, it happens a lot.  The unit upstairs was serviced four times last summer.  It seemed to be good, but then we had a repeat error when the Service Hub ailed to communicate with the thermostat.  I don't understand exactly what it does, but the unit went through its third one a week ago.  The field supervisor assured me that it probably shouldn't have been replaced last time, that it might just have been a faulty wire, as the last guy installing the newest one found the wires in a compromised position, IDK.  I just care that they work.  I even asked "so what happens in 3-6 months when it goes out again?  At some point, y'all are going to expect me to pay for these things."  He said they have a ten-year warranty, and some might have been bad because they were made during the Covid time and stuff wasn't the highest quality, not that I believe that all the way.

    Fast forward less than a week and yesterday, the downstairs unit, which has been performing solidly and with hardly any problems, also had a Service Hub failure.  I called Fox in the morning and asked for the service supervisor, he said to ask for him, and he came and rewired a whole bunch of stuff and measured signal strengths and other stuff the other guys hadn't done.  He said the Service Hub was fine, it had just lost communication, which can happen during a storm event, they run on 2.5V of current and a storm can dump that kind of power in the air and affect them, or something like that.  He told me next time it loses communication to try and reboot it like a computer before calling them.  I don't mind doing it, but for $25,000, shouldn't that not be a solution, basically what you do to a computer or a phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment