Saturday, April 23, 2022

4/23/22 Dammit, Why Didn't I Wear A Mask?

     I have been a loud idiot about not needing a mask anymore and it seems funny that like the Rolling Stones sang, "You Can't Always Get What You Want." This week we finally got permission to stop using the masks at work, which means there is no place I go to regularly that I need a mask anymore.  Honestly, wearing the mask has been all theatre, because we were required to wear it when we walked in the building, where 90% of the time I don't even see anyone.  Once in the lab, we were kind of wearing the masks for a while, but if we are going to go sit in the breakroom and drink coffee for an hour and argue and talk over whatever, don't tell me that once in the lab we should put on the mask.  I figure the people we work with day to day; have all the same cooties we do.  We touch the same tools, we log onto the same computers, it is impossible to isolate like what the theory of the mask would have us doing.

    It has been a rocky ride, making light fun of people trying to wear masks in front of me.  That is after the CDC came out and said they are really ineffective, Jan15.  They can take it back after the backlash they received, but that part had to be true, or they wouldn't have said it.  Add to that, people are stupid, the people who like to carry them, alternate between wearing them loosely, sticking their noses out, or wearing them on the chin, where they seem to protect the most.

    All this to say that after finally I can stop feeling guilty of not wearing the mask at work, I woke up Friday morning with a weird stiffness on the neck.  I thought it was from sleeping in a bad position, but it stuck around all day.  By 7:00pm, when we were eating, I noticed my hands and feet were cold, and I had a light touch of nausea.  I was kind of hoping it was food poisoning, the hamburger meat I used to make burgers sat in the fridge for a couple days, and there was a lot of gross blood all around it, lining the Styrofoam.  I used it because I knew it had gone from the freezer to the fridge, it never sat out, so in theory, it should be fine, but it still gave me a little concern.

    By 10:00pm, I had to admit that I was sick.  Wife told me to isolate, after kissing her when she got home, we'll see how strong her immunity is.  I am not sure it is Covid, and honestly, I woke up feeling better.  My neck hurts, but I do think it is a posture thing, but my hands are still a tad cold.  Maybe I need to work out to get my blood moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment