Monday, April 18, 2022

4/18/22 Easter Sunday?

     I can only say I wish my folks lived closer to us, but it is what it is.  After wearing ourselves out Saturday early at the car show, we came home, showered, napped, and then got back on the road around 7:00pm.  My parents live a good three hours away, so we got there around 10:30pm, after stopping for gas and McDonald's on the road.  I almost preferred to drive at that hour, there was hardly any traffic, and I am good on the road after a good nap, so I was able to drive the whole way home.  My parents and brothers came around, and we were probably up until 12:30am catching up before we headed off to bed.

    I like getting up early, and since my dad does the same, I woke when I heard him in the kitchen fidgeting with the coffee maker and doing whatever he does to keep himself entertained.  We drank coffee and talked for a couple hours until people woke and eventually my brother came over from next door, already in a huff about starting the day's festivities outside.  It is only three hours further southwest from Austin, but I swear the weather changes by a good ten degrees to the hotter over there.  It was ok before noon, we were in some pretty thick cloud cover, but as soon as the sun broke, it got hot and humid and nasty, quick.  My parents have a decent sized carport, and we were seated under it, so it's not like we were in the sun, but it was still way hot.  Mijo had the good idea to bring out a fan, but it really didn't do much to help.

    We still managed to enjoy the grilling, there were ribs, fajitas, chicken, thighs, and other assorted meats to enjoy once everything got done.  There was some confusion with my sister, she somehow thought we were going to hang around until 9:00pm to eat dinner late.  My mom took the news hard, so instead of us trying to leave around 3:00pm, we hung around until 6:00pm and my brother was able to cook the meat slower than intended.

    Everything was fine, my brother talked and talked, which I find highly entertaining, we all take turns getting insulted, we take a lot of abuse for living in this shit liberal city, which I find myself agreeing more and more with them.  I think we are all so used to it that we don't even take it personally, so it was a great shock to find out that the kids were taking their turn at ribbing each other inside, which the boys do, and it goes well, most of the time.  Mijo gets the usual, "ha ha, you were/are a fat-ass!", but guys get used to being insulted all the time that it doesn't hurt.  Shit hit the fan when the boys aimed their insult cannons at my niece and she was not ready, I don't think anyone has ever directed a negative word at her, she lost her mind and took it out on her boyfriend, who was enjoying the jokes.

    I still thought the whole thing was funny, I thanked my brother who got all serious after, for the dinner and a show, which most everyone was afraid to laugh at, this got my sister all nervous and she attacked me for not seeing them enough, it's like you feel when it's time to go, all of a sudden.  With that, we had finished eating, we took some awkward pictures, my dad didn't want to go outside anymore, they were stupidly hanging a pinata on the tree outside with a beehive the size of a huge watermelon and expecting things to go well.  I did not want to see those bees/wasps pissed off, so we hurried on out.  We got on the road by 6:30pm and made our way back to Austin by 9:30pm, there was no stopping for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment