Tuesday, April 5, 2022

4/5/22 Dave Made A Maze? (Movie)

     We haven't been watching movies like we were in the summer; we have just been too busy for it.  Saturday, we finally had time and although I have been wanting to watch Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, I was voted down by Boy's suggestion.  When we got together with my in-law's, we were discussing movies with my brother in law, and Boy mentioned a movie, Dave Made A Maze, and even showed me the trailer on his phone.  I have to say, the trailer was very intriguing.

    The movie is about a guy, kind of a loser who can't finish anything, he builds a fort/maze in the middle of his living room while the girlfriend is on a trip.  She finds him inside and is rolling her eyes, trying to figure out where she went wrong choosing this loser as a mate and asking him to come out.  He says he is lost inside and can't find the door.  She sees a big box from the outside, but when we see his perspective, it is a labyrinth inside and he is indeed lost.  Of course, there are traps and monsters inside the labyrinth and he is trying to stay alive.  This alone caught my attention and made me want to see the movie, but they never really resolve whether all this is in his mind or if it is supposed to be some fantasy type movie where all this is possible.

    After she figures he is not coming out on his own, she calls some friends, and they all venture inside, and before you know it, they are being chased by the monster, a big minotaur, and a couple of the friends are killed while inside.  This was my confusion, did they die?  There are some plot points that didn't make sense, but overall the movie was good for some entertainment.

    The movie kind of reminded me of Labyrinth, the 1986 movie with David Bowie as the bad guy.  That was another fantasy adventure where after you are left wondering "did that happen in her head or was it real?"  I prefer this type of movie, for too long it seems, movies have been all about attitude and being too cool for your own good.  I like a movie that makes you think a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment