Friday, January 7, 2022

1/7/22 Centex Invitational Wrestling Tournament?

     I was not looking forward to the tournament this week because of all the logistics involved.  The meet was held at Eastside Memorial High School, which is on the eastside of Austin, somewhere between 7th and 12th street.  The school looked fairly new to me, with walls of windows making it look very modern.  The only giveaway that it was a school from the outside was the football field on one side.  Even the gym was incorporated into the big main building, so it didn't really look like a gym.  It was an interesting layout, we walked into the gym on a second level above the playing field, then we could walk the stairs down to the floor, not that they were allowing that, because of the new stricter Covid rules.  The new rules also meant we were separated from the kids, which they were supposed to either hang out in a small side gym, on the floor or we could take some tents and have the kids outside.  I went and bought two large tents, in case that is what all the school were doing, but none of the kids ended up doing that.  It was really too cold to try and be outside for extended amounts of time.  I also ended up driving completely around the campus and only finding some parking on the opposite side of the school.  I then had to walk with a cooler full of drinks, and another package of water bottles on top of that all the way around which was kind of a pain in the ass.

    Baby A also had his worst outing of the season, he lost both matches, so he was done after one day of wrestling.  I had so many mixed feelings about this, but I don't think Mijo was that bothered, or he just processes things differently.  I worry he might have lost because he is injured or something else is affecting his thinking, he is usually lit up, maybe walks a little aggressively and I didn't see this.  Ultimately, this is his thing, we are there to support him, so if he says he is ok, we have to be ok.  ON the plus side, we get to sleep-in Saturday and Sunday, so I guess it's not all bad.  One point that did make me think was that he brought up that this will be it this year, as far as sports.  He will not be looking for track and field or powerlifting, he feels drained and like he hasn't been able to do anything else but be a slave to practice.  I guess with the two weeks off for the holidays, he sees that he could be spending his time taking it easy and not killing himself every day.  I understand this thinking, maybe his shoulder is hurting more than he is letting on, he did say it got tweaked again in the second match, as I was thinking I didn't believe a shoulder could turn back that much when the kid was holding him down.

    Last thing I want is for Mijo to walk away from this sport injured, so if he says he is done, that is fine by me.  He says he just wants to focus on getting stronger for next year, which I can appreciate, lifting weights is not a contact sport, and hopefully, he'll get a few months to heal any lingering strains.

No comments:

Post a Comment