Saturday, January 15, 2022

1/15/22 Boy Is Moving On Up?

     Boy told us last night that he has signed a lease and will be moving out sometime in late February.  Although I am happy for him, if this is what he wishes to do, it is in total contrast to what we had talked about just a couple weeks ago.  During the Christmas break, we had a pretty good discussion of how he should work on saving money this year (for a house), after getting a nice bonus at the end of the year and thinking that would happen again at the end of this year.  He assured us he wasn't in a rush, which sounded good, if it were up to us, I'd like him to aggressively start paying down his school loans, but then again, he is now 27 and probably really wanting to start his own life.

    It is of course exciting to venture out, and we will support him on this (not financially, but still), but there is a yin and a yang to everything.  For the immediate freedom he will experience moving out and playing house with the girlfriend (I would prefer they get married first), there will also be a penalty of him losing his ability somewhat to save money for a down payment.  It is unfortunate, but houses in Austin are very expensive, the median price for a home in late 2021 is $498,000 and even saving up the down payment is rough when realtors expect 5% to 20% down.

    The apartment sounds good, it is in North Austin, he said about 15 minutes from his work.  It has 2 bedrooms, and a total of 1300 sq ft.  That is actually a big apartment, that sounds about the size of our first house.  The complex is gated, and they supposedly have 24hr security walking the premises, which makes me feel better.  The cost will be a pretty penny, at $1700 a month plus utilities but the unit even has washer/dryer connections.  With the 2 bedrooms, they'll have room to take some of his 3D printers and hopefully all the kitchen utensils which have taken over our kitchen.

    My only change if I could have anything to do with this whole thing, is I would have preferred he stayed down in south Austin, but I guess I should be happy he is still going to be in the same city.  I doubt we will see him during the week, we are sometimes too busy to see each other during the week right now and we live in the same house.

    I felt a big loss when he moved out a few years ago when he lived in San Marcos for two years while going to school, I don't deny that.  I didn't feel he was ready to leave us, he was still very immature.  I feel different now, he is 27, he has shown us to be very responsible and acts like a grown up most of the time.  He has had three different jobs now, each for a good amount of time, and what we hear is that he is appreciated and respected wherever he works, so at this point, I have to assume he will be alright.  We will certainly gain a bunch more room in the house.  We will keep his room as a guest room, but much much much cleaner.  I will gain the usage of the room next to his and probably move the weights in there.  This will then allow us to convert the room downstairs into another guest room for when my parents come and visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment