Tuesday, January 4, 2022

1/4/22 The World Changed, I didn't?

     For the last two years or so, I have been calling myself a conservative and pretty much feeling good about it, but I was listening to some discussions, and it may be truer to say I didn't change, society decided to go farther away from center, and I was left looking more conservative than I ever thought I could be.  A big thing conservatives like to lean on is the bible, and I still think it is just a book, plenty of good stories to learn from, but I don't believe in everything in there.  I also don't care about abortion, the fewer unwanted babies on the planet, the better.  All those unloved, uncared for babies have a much higher percentage of turning into criminals and that doesn't do any favors for society.  If anything, the bible has guilted us into holding back on preventative measures which could reduce the need for abortions.  I have always liked the idea of putting birth control in the water or making teens with babies relying on government support to get on Norplant or whatever works to prevent more children.

    I have gone to the right on gun control.  I used to fear the idea of guns, but now I accept that if the criminals are going to have them, the good people of society should have them as well.  If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them, as the saying goes.

    This whole trip was started by the media when BLM was made a thing, but I don't believe black people were looked at unfavorably a few years ago.  I grew up in a world where my favorite quarterback was Warren Moon, my favorite shows were The Jeffersons, Sanford and Son, The Cosbys, Martin, all great because they knew how to talk shit, and it was funny.  Our music was permeated and made better with all the greats, from Michael Jackson to Prince, the talent was and still is non-stop.  I don't know where all this hate came from, it wasn't around ten years ago, in my opinion.

    I could not continue supporting the side that was okay with demonstrations, against the police, for a very minute number of instances where bad policing was maybe evident.  These demonstrations only helped to destabilize inner cities and make even more dangerous those places where poor people already live.  All we see as a result of all of this destruction is small businesses driven out, old buildings destroyed, rampant looting to the point where regular people will not visit or vacation to those destinations.  As things are right now, there is no way I would want to travel to Chicago, New York, Portland, San Francisco.  All those places are full of history and interesting in their own way, but because of what has transpired over the past two years, I just don't think it is safe right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment