Wednesday, September 22, 2021

9/22/21 Sumo Japanese Steakhouse?

     We went to San Antonio this past Saturday to celebrate Wife's nephew's 18th birthday and his mom's.  They chose this Sumo Japanese Steakhouse restaurant and I wasn't going with too much expectations of a good experience, it just seemed cheesy and kind of dumb.  I was also not excited when Wife pulled up the menu and showed me prices of up to $60 a plate and even $95, for the lobster and something, not that anybody ordered that.

    To top it off, this coincided with my waking up and wanting to run and get those supplies for the coming freeze I am expecting in my head.  Of course, there is never enough time to do what I want to do beforehand, I wanted to run to Lowe's and pick up at least one of the heaters, but we were already "running late", so I was shut down.  There was a Lowe's a couple blocks from the restaurant and since we got there with 40 minutes to spare, traffic on I-35 was extremely light, for a Saturday afternoon, I headed directly there, figuring I could run in and out in 10 minutes and not be late to the meal.  They didn't have any heaters there, so it was a waste of time, but it didn't affect our arrival.

   I was kind of pissy at my sister in law, once there, she said we had another 40 minutes, the reservation was for 2:00pm, but she told us 1:30pm because everyone is always late to everything.  I get it, but those extra 30 minutes could have given me time to go to our Lowe's in Austin.  It didn't turn out to be a big deal, when we went afterwards, around 8:00pm, they still had all three heaters they showed on their website.

    We sat around for awhile outside and eventually went inside.  The restaurant is a little dated, which again made it hard to justify the prices, but once we got going with the "show", it was entertaining enough and the food was good, not the best I've ever eaten, but good enough.  I ordered some fancy sirloin, Kobeashi Wagyu sirloin and shrimp, which was $45, but it could have been a small strip of fajitas, it didn't have anything special to it.  It was still good and the shrimp helped the meal.  The chef was entertaining, in a sarcastic funny way.  It turns out he is dating a family member of my brother in law's wife, so he was familiar with Crystal City, which made it feel like more of a connection.  It was $180 for the three of us, so it wasn't cheap, but I guess for an 18th birthday, it is alright.  The birthday boy had about 6-7 friends with him, so he had a good time.  We ended the meal at my in-law's house where they had birthday cake and an assortment of sweets and desserts.  I took my nap after the meal and then had Wife drive us home around 630pm.  It was a good day, but after the football game Friday night, I was wore out and we were in bed by 10:00pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment