Wednesday, September 15, 2021

9/14/21 Ugly Pressure From Watch Store?

     I hate to say that I did not like a set of texts I got Tuesday from one of the local jewelry stores, it was just in bad taste.  I don't even want to mention the stores name because I might end up using them, although at this point I can't imagine when.  Last weekend, we went shopping for watches for Boy's graduation, naturally, we headed to the two big local stores that sell Rolex watches as I really wanted to buy him one of these, in particular, a Milgauss, which is a watch developed to be used by engineers around magnets back in the day.  Anyways, Rolex has gotten so popular lately, that the display cases are literally empty, there is no product to even show, and this is after going to places here in Austin, Houston, and now San Antonio, none of the authorized dealers seem to be able to keep any stock on display.

    Boy has always liked the Omega brand, so Rolex being out is not the worst thing for him, and one of the local stores does carry Omega but they did not have the one he likes in particular.  It being a Saturday, we ended up driving to San Antonio for the day and ended up at La Cantera Mall and to our surprise, they had the exact watch he has been wanting for many years.  We purchased it, I don't want to say what it is because he can't have it until I see the degree in my hand, he has applied for graduation, so it should happen in December.

    Anyways, today's text from the sales guy was harmless enough, he sent me a pic of a watch that I guess he had liked for my son, and it is from the same collection as what my son got.  I told him it was nice, but we found the watch we were looking for.  He had said he could look for it and get ordered for us, but they did not have it in the store.  After I told him we had purchased from the Omega Boutique, he found a need to tell me that Omega does not carry Rolex.  I totally know and understand this.  His implication seemed to be that had I bought the watch from him, it would have put me in better standing on their waiting list.  I find this to be a cheap ploy of manipulation because I have bought four expensive watches at Ben Bridge and I have been on their "waiting list" at least two years, so it can't mean that much.

    I tried being coy and saying it was alright, maybe I wasn't Rolex worthy, and I was looking at other brands, specifically Panerai, since I don't like to be kept waiting.  He curtly said "we don't carry that brand" then felt a need to include "I was going to get you the watch you wanted next week."  I don't know how true this is, but the sales guy at Omega did say that as far as he knew there were only two more of the watch we bought still available to buy from Omega in the US.  That might have been a sales pitch to get me to buy on the spot, but either way, he was in a better position to put pressure on me as he actually had what I wanted.  The other guy making veiled threats and making me feel like I needed to get on his good graces by spending a few thousand dollars to get the "coveted" watches made me feel like saying "fuck you."

    The only reason I was not rude and snap at this guy is because I have a feeling that the market will turn soon, there can't be that many guys that care about watches that are ridiculous in price, specially when our phones do a better job of keeping time.  I can accept retail price, but there is no way I am paying above that for the privilege of wearing a brand.  I already have two of them, I feel perfectly fine venturing out to other brands, and now Omega has extended us a credit line with 0 percent interest, so I am feeling the love plus they had a store full of watches, they aren't suffering shortages, whether real or manufactured.

No comments:

Post a Comment