Friday, September 10, 2021

9/10/21 Feeding Our Boys?

     We have always been very involved in whatever our boys get into.  When Boy was in high school I was constantly buying him supplies at Home Depot whether it was little tools or resin and fiberglass materials, whatever it took to keep him going.  For Wife, it has always been about them having food around.  She has always worried about her babies having something to eat when we are not around to feed them.  

    This year, the burden seems to have come full circle and landed on us, mostly because Wife keeps volunteering us and because the other parents are not stepping up to the challenge.  I am talking about Baby A and the football team.  We were supposed to form a booster club sometime in the summer, but that has not happened yet, so of course, some of the more committed parents have started getting together and doing what we can to make sure the team is not starving.  I started with telling Wife that I might have all this free time because of my schedule right now, but I don't want to be some figure head having to bring people together for meetings and stuff.  I'll do the work and we can provide more than our share of financial support, but I don't want to be front and center as booster president or whatever.  Well, here we are, it only took three weeks and at least for now, most of the other parents, there are 60 kids on the varsity team, have kind of gone quiet.  The first week parents brought in cases of Gatorade and other stuff.

    Wife volunteered us last week to make 40 sausage wraps and that was great to provide them for the kiddos, but logistically, it was not easy.  We got lucky that Boy offered to help.  He cooked them in the oven while the game was going and delivered them at the end of the game, just as the team got back to the school.  Boy said he just threw them in the oven, and five minutes before he took them out, tossed the tortilla packs all stacked together and then put them together and wrapped them in foil.

    This week, Wife volunteered us to provide burgers, and without anyone else offering to help, I am supposed to make 80 burgers and because the team is leaving campus to Llano at 10:30am (something about not having enough bus drivers), I am supposed to deliver them to campus by 9:45am or so.  I don't mind doing the work, other parents bought the cheese and buns, we are providing the patties, but I hate the logistics of cooking them starting at 8:00-ish and thinking those burgers won't get eaten until noon-ish or so.  I don't know, I can't cook them any later, 80 is a lot, and I do need to assemble them, without help, Wife will be at work.  So here I am at 5:30am, up and making sure everything is lined up.  The patties are in the fridge, I opened the big boxes and made sure they weren't all frozen stuck to each other.  I have my pack of 500 foil sheets to wrap them.  I just need to do like the Avengers and yell "BURGERS ASSEMBLE!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment