Monday, September 13, 2021

9/13/21 Kia Air Compressor Better Than It Should Be?

     You never know what you got until you need it, if you can find it.  Girlie called me Sunday morning that she had her low tire pressure indicator on in her car as she was running errands.  She saw this last week and I told her to go to Discount Tire and get it looked at.  I guess they just added air at the time because she said it was low again this morning.  Because Discount Tire is closed today and places like Firestone charge $40 to patch a tire if they weren't bought there, she just wanted to fill it with more air until tomorrow.  I have always suggested Discount Tire, I always get my tires there, and they offer a free tire repair or replacement program, so she said she would get her tire fixed tomorrow.

    Either way, I can't say no to a damsel in distress, but I also didn't want to dig my big air pump out along with the 50ft air cord for a little puff of air.  I thought maybe I would check my tires while I was at it, but Wife's car (Telluride) has tire sensors and we looked at the pressure Friday night going to the football game and they were fine.  I just verified the Excursion tire pressure about two weeks ago, they are only a month old, and the Escape also has new tires and that car has tire monitor sensors as well.  Boy's Edge was not here, he was out having breakfast with his GF.

    I remembered the little pump from the Ford Ecosport, I took everything from the trunk after Boy crashed it a year ago and it was all in the garage in a little pile.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to try this little pump, it would save me from digging out the bigger noisier pump which requires the long hose and long electric cord.  When she got here, I told her we should look in her trunk and she happens to have the same pump.  Because her car has the tire sensors, we looked at it and I filled the low tire, which took less than a minute.  I then told her to go through and top off the other three tires, I showed her how to do it and then had her do her own tires on the rest.  A girl should know how to save herself if she is ever in that situation alone.  We got all the tires from 27 (low one) to 30 all up to 34.  I am not sure if she does have a nail in the one, but they were all on the verge of low, if they are back down later this week, then she does have a nail or something that requires a stop at Discount Tire.  But now she knows she has a pump and she can handle putting a little air in her tires.

    I was not a fan of that idea, Kia and Ford giving you a "tire repair kit" which includes this pump when they should be giving you a spare tire, even if it is a donut version, but for this instance, it did turn out to be quite helpful.  I am tucking this little pump in one of the cars and am now thinking I should order a couple more for the other cars.  It weighs about two pounds and is the size of a big hamburger or so.  The cylinder device in the pic is a goo which will patch a nail hole or leak temporarily to get you home, but I didn't use it.  If there is a nail or leak, it should be fixed correctly and not plugged with stuff so it gets ignored and becomes a bigger problem later, in my opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment