Thursday, December 31, 2020

1/1/21 Happy New Year?

     We are doing a very low key New Year's Eve this year.  Usually, we spend the evening at my in-law's and then drive home afterwards, but with the weather saying it was going to be rainy and possibly close to freezing, we didn't want to take chances of surviving Covid-19 all year only to end up dying in some crazy car accident.  Instead, we decided we would spend the day at home.  We visited my folks last week before Christmas and then we saw my in-law's earlier this week on Tuesday, so we were good on seeing everybody.

    Since we were going to be home, it only seemed right to end the year with a smoked brisket since we have done so many, this would be my final exam.  We bought the brisket Wednesday, so it was not frozen, merely kept in the fridge overnight.  I got up at 6:20am to pee and Wife had told me half joking/half serious that I should start smoking it at 6:00am so that we could eat around 7:00pm.  Sure enough, I came downstairs and prepped the hunk of meat all by myself and fired up the grill.  It was a chilly morning with on again/off again rain showers, but the grill and I stayed dry in the patio.  I kept an eye on the grill while I drank my coffee and snacked on pastries (I'll get back on the diet next week).  I stayed attentive until around 11:30am when I decided I needed a nap.  I headed upstairs, Wife had just woke up and I then napped while she watched crappy TV in the bedroom.

    The brisket was showing signs of being done around 5:00pm (it was tender when I stuck the temperature probe in it and the internal temperature was above 210 degrees).  We kept it going while we finished watching the 3rd season of Stranger Things which was over the top and left us in an emotional heap.  It is amazing that they keep topping themselves, we are waiting for the 4th season.

    Dinner was about perfect, Wife made a potato salad and Jalapeno bombers and rice as sides, everything was great.  Since around 7:00pm, we have been just loafing around, like most of these vacation days.  I fell asleep again for an hour then I woke, showered and have now been sitting on laptop in kitchen munching on brownies, grapes, bananas, ice cream, soda, wine, and muffins just waiting for midnight.  Wife is watching Independence Day which is too close to Stranger Things with the creepy monsters trying to end the humans, for me.

    I would say this is a pretty good day.  I would prefer no virus, and slightly nicer weather to be out with family, but we are doing the best with what we have in front of us.  Both my boys are here in the house, Boy has Sweetie and a friend over, Baby A is playing online with his friends and comes down every 20-30 minutes to snack, so I am happy about having them here and not worried about them being out getting in trouble.  Happy New Year's everyone, here's hoping things get more normal so we can go back to our way of life in 2021.

No comments:

Post a Comment