Thursday, December 10, 2020

12/11/20 Appreciating Mijo's Ford Edge?

     Wife is too nice sometimes and when it got cold the first time this year told Boy he could drive our newest SUV, the Ecosport which we bought to relieve the mileage on the Telluride.  It was kind of a spur of the moment thing that seemed like a good idea at the time because she was coming and going multiple times to work in La Pryor and doing a quick math, it seemed like she would just wear out the Telluride in no time.  Well, things settled down and she found a place to stay down there, so she is back to normal, driving down there on Monday mornings and staying at her cousin's in a guest house in the back.  I thought I would be driving the Ecosport at least for work, I do enjoy driving it.  It feels like a go kart compared to my big Excursion.

    Well, Boy liked it too, he especially likes that it has all the new gadgets found in cars today.  It has heated seats, and a heated steering wheel which is nice on a cold morning.  He also likes that the Ecosport has a reverse camera, so it makes it easier to reverse without worrying about bumping into something.  So he decided to just keep driving it and foregoing the use of his Ford Edge.  It has sat there until this past week when I decided two can play at that game.  Why am I driving around in a 2004 vehicle when I could just as easily start driving a 2014?  I thought it would be easy to just take the keys and have a new ride, but life is never easy.

    I found I was not comfortable in it because our son is just the worst at keeping shit clean.  I don't think he had vacuumed the inside since we bought it.  I actually burnt out the motor on my garage vacuum, I was vacuuming the inside for over an hour, but the result was just great.  I made that interior look fairly new to me.  I polished the inside with some Armor-all, then when I thought I could be happy found myself washing it the next day.  When I tried drying it, the outside was so dry and nasty feeling, I decided to give it an old fashioned waxing, with the hard Turtle wax stuff.  It took me over an hour and my arm was sore for a couple days, but when I was done, that surface was smooth and shiny once again.  The black metallic paint was even shiny and reflective at night.

    I find it a very good vehicle, it even has bluetooth and connects to my phone, it gives me 20.8mpg, which is a lot better than the 12mpg the Excursion manages.  I like that it fits in any parking spot too.  Boy has started going on about trading in the Edge for a 4-runner, but I don't think so.  He needs to make a few payments on it first even if it is his car.  I don't think he'll be satisfied with the Ecosport long term, but he shouldn't rush off and get an expensive vehicle just yet.  Shoot, I am thinking if I put leather seats on the Edge, I would be happy keeping it for myself.  More and more cars are being fitted with 4 cylinder engines, this one still has a V6 and the power shows when I floor it.

No comments:

Post a Comment