Thursday, December 17, 2020

12/17/20 Service Center Takes Advantage?

     I hate to say anything bad about Ford but man, the service department has no shame.  We took in Boy's Ford Edge for an oil change and I expected they would maybe suggest changing out the air filter or maybe the fuel filter but they suggested about 11 different things and the worst thing is they started with wanting me to pay for changing out the cabin air filter.  I might have bought this, but it so happened that we changed out the blower motor a couple weeks ago and we took off the cabin air filter and I had Boy clean it off with the hose.  It looked about as good as it could look, considering we couldn't see through it when we took it off.  I said no because this is something I could do myself and they were wanting to charge me $120.  I looked up the part and ordered it on Amazon for $7.95.  The next thing they wanted to replace was the engine air filter and for this they wanted to charge $150.  I said no because I know it sits in a top housing and looking at a quick Youtube video it has two clamps and a wire to remove to get inside.  This part was $15.95 on Amazon.  If I had let them do the work, that would have been almost $300 with taxes for about $25 worth of parts, that kind of pisses me off.

    They also suggested a tune up and I think that is just replacing the spark plugs but there may be more to it, so I need to look into it.  I should know better than that by now.  What I can tell there is a spark plug and an ignition coil.  I saw several videos and the hardest part is removing the covers on top to access the back spark plugs as the engine is sitting sideways.  I think I should be able to manage this, which should be another savings of a couple hundred bucks.

    While it drizzled today and Wife forced me to change the wipers I tried shooting some window cleaner liquid and noticed the driver side spritzer wasn't shooting, so once again to the Youtube.  It seems they have a knack for cracking and then the tube just hangs there between the hood and that insulation material.  It was extra easy to determine that this was the case as I noticed water spilling from under the insulating material when I went to look at it more carefully.  I managed to find this part as well, which was only $7.95 as well.  I am sure they would have charged me another $200 to fix this.  I managed to order the three little quick fixes for around $35.00 and they should all arrive this week, so I should be able to handle it and save me a bunch of money in the process.  All this because I decided to commandeer Boy's vehicle, I wish he would have mentioned some of these things sooner and I would have taken care of things earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment