Tuesday, December 15, 2020

12/16/20 Trying To Refinance, Again?

     I got a bug in my ass around Tuesday night last week, wondering what the value of our house was, around now.  I have been seeing this realtor pop up on my Youtube feed talking about the cost of houses in Austin.  I am really shocked that the median price for a house in Bee Cave is around $650,000.  Lakeway is closer to $700,000 or something like that.  There doesn't seem to be anything in Circle C or anywhere nice in South Austin for under $450,000.  This made me wonder about where my house is then.  I looked at Zillow, which is pretty easy to do and there zestimate (they have to be clever and insert their little z) put our house around $495,000.  That certainly makes me take a big gulp, we didn't buy the house for that much and if it was that, I don't think we could have afforded it, but here we are.  We now owe under $300,000, so the possibility of refinancing and taking some cash out, or changing the terms to a 15 year note seems very possible.

    In a perfect world, I would like to refinance to a 15 year note, get a bunch of cash out to pay any remaining credit cards and end up with about the same mortgage payment.  I am still unsure what is going to happen.  I tried first with Quicken but I believe I got a dud of a dude to talk to.  I was so thrown off because he had the bad accent of a big dumb Hispanic guy who yells too much but his last name was like Goldberg or something, so a Hispanic Jewish guy?  I don't know, not that I care what they are, but I kept feeling like I should throw in a spanish word here and there like when you talk to a "primo" or whatever dumb shit we say when we address our people.  Plus, he told me "let me call you back later which turned into calling me back the next day only to basically repeat the whole conversation complete with "I'll call you back in a few minutes".  I stopped him and told him "you did this exact same conversation with me yesterday, why didn't you get your shit together, I thought you would have numbers ready today?"  He hung up after some lame excuse that he talks to hundreds of customers a day and told me "yeah, we won't be able to help you."  I said "cool", I didn't want to think this jackass made a nickel off of me. I hate stupid people.

    I just looked at Google again for mortgage rates and again I got tons of calls within seconds.  This time I randomly talked to a guy with Loan Depot, they had our mortgage up until 5-6 months ago so they even had my name in their system.  He said I prequalified and everything looked good, if the value of the house matches what his data was saying and he said our house was valued at like $510,000, it would be great.  I guess now we just wait in the appraisal for the next step.

No comments:

Post a Comment