Wednesday, December 30, 2020

12/30/20 Rolex May Have Jumped The Shark?

     Maybe it is just another sign that regular people are falling behind societal norms, or maybe Rolex is becoming a brand for the ultra haves.  I had figured with the kind of money we make, I could afford to buy one for every milestone of life, but that may be asking too much.  We were out looking at what kind of product they had at one of only two stores that is an Authorized Dealer (AD), Ben Bridge, here in Austin.  They really didn't have more than a handful sitting in their display cases that at one time might have held close to 200 watches.  The scary thought is that I feel the AD are selling in bulk to the aftermarket assholes that are ruining the prices outright, and they are already very expensive.

    My thought is why would an AD sell me a single watch when I might buy one every 7-10 years, when Joe Idiot might go in and buy 5-10 watches in one sitting and then he turns around and sells them for much more?  I know this sounds ridiculous and I thought so for a long time, but as an example, I followed the price of the green faced Submariner, nicknamed the Hulk.  Technically, the new one is a little different, but you tell me:

New 2020 Green Rolex Submariner (retail $9550)


Older Green Rolex Submariner (range of prices $18,000- $24,000)

Other than the green dial versus black, they are the same and bracelet and case are plain stainless steel, not white gold.  I see the range of prices online, but even at the mall, I found a used one at one of the watch stores and it was selling for $18,000.  Similar story with the Milgauss, which I really want to buy for my son, it is a "scientist's watch" and I thought it would make a perfect graduation present, if not for the price.

Milgauss (retails for $8,300)  


I have not seen a new one in the last two years, and if I buy one used it would cost me at least $1500 more, around $9500 or up, depending on how new I get.  This one is not crazy overpriced because it is a "nerd" watch, which I say is even better.  It was designed for engineers who worked around high powered magnets, they are not affected by the magnetic forces internally.

Of course, I am crying about very first world problems when some people haven't worked all year and are in danger of losing everything, but the fact that the market has gone to favor a used market I find wrong.  First, they are more expensive than new, but then in the used market, you are much more likely to buy a fake representative and just how do you tell if the seller decides he is going to lie or act dumb?  It all leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  Plus, with society's direction, which seems to favor the criminal now, I would hate for my son to get hurt in a robbery because the watch is just so expensive and criminals know they can get a good price in a used market.  Maybe I will have to find something else to commemorate the special event, if only this son of mine would finish the last handful of classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment