Friday, December 25, 2020

12/25/20 Merry Christmas To All?

     The hype of the approaching day is usually more than the actual event.  I always love the anticipation of the oncoming holidays, but I am rarely impressed with the day itself.  This Christmas wasn't much different.  I do love shopping with Wife and running around exhausting ourselves looking for the perfect gifts for those we care about and love.  This year was a bit different in that we got 90% of our shopping done online and taken care of around Thanksgiving, but we still left the possibility open to buy an extra gift or two on the last few days to give us reason to run around and join the madness that is the masses out shopping.

    We spent Monday afternoon walking around the Domain and that was fun, Wife and I went by ourselves.  I was really excited to go by Ben Bridge and hopefully see the new line of Rolex watches that came out this year with new colorful dials, including a strong red color that has me interested.  They were pretty much empty as far as Rolex watches go.  If their display cases for Rolex can hold 200-300 watches normally, they are down to around 6-10, and mostly all the boring ones for older men or ladies, I did not see any of the "sport" variety.  This was fine, it's not like I was going to spend $7,000-$14,000 on a watch.  We also walked into other boutique stores like Tiffany's and even the Tesla car store.  All this made for a fun afternoon.

    Yesterday, we went down to the mall, but not only did we notice more stores closing, but the mall looked ravaged, there wasn't anything resembling something I would want to purchase.  First it lost the Ben Bridge store, this time I noticed Williams Sonoma and Abercrombie and Fitch along with its sister stores is closing.  I can foresee Barton Mall turning into another Highland Mall with way too many shoe stores here pretty soon, I don't understand our fascination with fucking Nike tennis shoes, but here we are.

    We didn't buy much, but just getting out there and walking around amongst people felt a little normal, we hope this pandemic is gone by this time next year.  We then came home, smoked a turkey and some ribs and watched a couple of Christmas movies.  It was pretty good to enjoy eggnog with a little alcohol, a bunch of different breads from Central Market, cookies from DD's girlfriend, cookies and sweets from my in-law's (we met them at a gas station on the drive home from my folks), and even Sweetie brought home more sweets from her mother's home.  We are overstocked with sweets and food and yet Wife is fixing to make a Christmas lasagna for tonight.  Merry Christmas y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment