Wednesday, July 29, 2020

7/29/20 Too Good To Be True?

    I am the first to say, "If something looks to good to be true, it probably is."  Yet, I can't help but fantasize over the "find" I saw this weekend.  Anyone who follows me knows I am obsessed with the idea of buying a boat.  I can't honestly decide what would be the perfect boat for me as I want a boat for all occasions, whether I want to fish, or spend the night on it, or just enjoy like we used to, an afternoon running around swimming and having sandwiches in a nice quiet cove.
    This weekend for some reason Wife mentioned Craigslist and I haven't been on that site in months, so I opened it up to see if anything had changed and I saw the listing for boats.  I guess my preference would be something with a cabin in case of bad weather, maybe for spending the night once in a while.  This means it is easy to scan the boats and just focus on the bigger ones that don't have the crazy prices in the plus $100,000 range.  After going in about 200 boats deep in the boats section, I came across a speed boat which was advertised for $1400.  I laughed to myself "wouldn't that be nice..."  I showed it to Wife and surprisingly, she said "go ahead, contact them."  I said "it has to be a scam, the tires on the trailer alone are worth more than $1400", but Wife persisted "what if the wife got the boat in a divorce and just wants the ex to suffer?"  "Ok", I thought, it doesn't hurt to inquire.  I told the lady (it turned out) that I was interested if this was a real ad.  Nothing happened for a couple days as I figured.
    Today I found an email from the lady.  She said she did get a divorce from a cheating husband who left her with 2 kids and she is having to move in with her folks, so she got the boat in the divorce and just wants to get rid of it.  She said if I am still interested, $1400 will take it, it is not a typo.  I still feel it is a trap, but I told her if she can wait until Friday we can go look at it and I will gladly buy it for that price.  I figure I can do the transaction at a bank with a notary, and I would like the boat looked over by a boat mechanic of some kind.  I will not get excited quite yet, but if it is real, this is more boat than I bargained for.
    DD is willing to go in half with me and that is nice, but at this price and the fear of an ex husband looking for me wanting his property, I may just buy it and use it as a trade in to get something newer.  This boat screams "I am an Attention Whore!"  Bright yellow and orange flames, 30foot long and 400HP.  I know it is tacky as hell but I also know I can be tacky as hell too.

No comments:

Post a Comment