Friday, July 24, 2020

7/23/20 Return To Work?

    I ended up being out of work for a month due to the concerns of Covid-19.  I was officially out of work from June 18 until July 20.  This seems ridiculous to me now, but in the moment I felt like I was doing the right thing.  I was sure in the beginning of this that I would just be out for two weeks and I was kind of bummed that because I went into quarantine one week before Wife was scheduled to take her time off, we would be off schedule on our time off.  After I talked to the site nurse, she told me I had to wait until the infected person was healthy again with no signs of fever or other symptoms for three days straight.  At this point, I was to count another fourteen days, to be safe.
    Anyways, I thought I would just love being off, but it was a mixed bag of emotions.  Yes, I did enjoy the lazy feeling of not having to rush off to work for those weeks.  But then, I felt guilty that I wasn't being a team player and I was letting my coworkers basically carry my ass in my absence.  I never like the feeling of other people doing more than me.  I feel like if I do more, no one can call me lazy or say I take advantage of my company.  Since I had never been out this long and half of the time did coincide with Wife's vacation and it was the timeframe I had scheduled to be off (we would have been in Florida for two weeks with extended family if not for Covid-19), it really was a decent time off.  We were able to enjoy time in the pool in the backyard, I went for a couple bike rides with Javalina to kind of test how my knees would do (they are getting better, I could go longer if not for the heat), and of course we watched a bunch of movies and series on Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+.  Hell, I went crazy and even paid for a couple movies to watch them even if they weren't available.
    Returning to work this week was great.  I would have preferred to have gone back to a short week, but then I would have had to accept less pay, it's complicated, but still, the week went by fast.  Monday through Wednesday night was easy, Wife had to go to sleep early, so by the time I came home, she would be asleep, so no reason for me to rush.  Thursday night was the only one I was really wanting to rush and get home.  It is the last night of the week for me and Wife had come in a little early to do an interview to hopefully get her butt back home and stop the madness of traveling back and forth to La Pryor.
    Maybe my body has had ample time to recharge while being off or maybe losing some weight has helped me, but I noticed that after sleeping for about 8 hours and getting up, I wasn't sleepy on my way to work or while loafing around the house before work.  I don't have time to be sleepy at work, as I don't even sit down nowadays.  I bust through the work on both tools to get whatever is there done.  Covid-19 has given us a golden ticket and I am fully enjoying its benefits, since we have to work in this minefield that could produce death.  Other than that, I am feeling positive and like an honest member of society being back at work.  I don't know how jackals that don't work regularly can feel good about themselves without contributing to society.

No comments:

Post a Comment