Sunday, July 26, 2020

7/26/20 Long Distance Relationships Can Work?

    We just watched Kissing Booth and then Wife chose to watch Kissing Booth 2, I thought the first one was a bit cliche.  What I got from it is when the guy goes off to college, Harvard of course, she has to stay behind and continue in high school by herself because she is a grade younger.  This got me thinking, Wife and I had that relationship and it worked for us.  I think it was good in that Wife kept her identity and was allowed to continue being herself without becoming one of those couples with a stupid mixed name like Mancky or Vindo, where it is cute to make a new name out of the combination and both people stop being interesting and just exist to please each other.  Instead, Wife was vice president of her class and drum major the last two years while I was away.  I think those things helped define who she has become, a genuine ballbuster and someone who is used to being up front making decisions and never being wrong, at least in her head (I kid).  I don't know that I would have liked her being all that and not being available for me at my beck and call.  I was quite needy back then and I expected that as my girlfriend she be My Girlfriend first.
    I thought it was good for me to go through college by myself as well.  There were times I would have maybe enjoyed having her around, but in the moment I loved the freedom I experienced living with the guys, starving on tuna and cereal, going to the gym daily or playing basketball with my roommates or other friends.  The time I was in college allowed me to grow and realize I wasn't helpless and I could be just as well with or without a person to entertain.  That being said, Wife has always been a good sport and goes along with my interests, for the most part.
    Now that we are adults, this independence is still something that comes in handy.  It is what allowed the transition for her to work three hours away and be gone all week easy.  Even with me saying that, we are starting our fifth year and if it were up to me, it would be nice to get back to normal.  Having her here the last few months with the Covid-19 scare has kind of reminded me how convenient it is to live as a couple.
    I try to do my part, keep the yard and the pool clean, wash clothes and change the bedsheets, but she does pretty much everything else from feeding us and making us sit as a family, to involving the boys in doing their share.  That last part takes a special knack, I can tell them over and over and it seems to fall on deaf ears or I get Javalina's "Tomorrow".  Wife tells them and it must be in her tone or the genetic fear of the chancla, but the boys seem to fall in line much easier with her in charge. 
     I can't complain, my life is good.  Having Wife around just makes it gooder.

No comments:

Post a Comment