Friday, July 17, 2020

7/17/20 Finally Ventured Out?

    We have honestly been as good as a citizen can be, for the last five months.  We have only been going to HEB and Target to get groceries and even that we try and get a full basket at a time.  This seems like a lot when we are spending $300-$600 each visit, but we have not eaten out since then.  Yes, we have picked up Bill Miller through the drive thru a handful of times, Javalina insists drinking water only from a Bill Miller plastic cup.  We go back about every 3-4 weeks so he gets a meal with tenders and a new glass.  There has also been about 1-2 Chick-Fil-A visits using the drive thru, we have not had a restaurant meal since corona started being a thing (maybe Spring Break time in March).  I do go to Home Depot and Lowe's once in a while, such as to replace our dryer a month ago or to buy stuff to do projects around the house, at one point I fixed holes in the fence and bought screws and new pickets for the fence, but this are quickie 20 minute trips by myself.
    Yesterday, we went out and walked IKEA for the first time in maybe six months.  I had bought black out curtains to separate the kitchen and family room two half wall openings but decided I needed another set of those curtains to also be able to block the light coming from the passage between the two rooms.  It was nice to get out and "shop", it used to be my favorite thing to do, I love looking at stuff, I have no shame, I am a material Capitalist pig and love the idea of commerce.  Anyways, Wife got a bunch of photo frames for all the photos we have been finding, such as Javalina's school pictures that were all resting on top of the fridge.  Afterwards, it was almost 5:00pm, so I drove over to Bass Pro Shops, I am always dreaming of getting another boat, so we looked around.  I have almost convinced myself that a small boat would be better, nobody hangs out with us anymore and a smaller boat would fit in the garage and of course, be cheaper.  We are still tossing that back and forth.
    Another reason I wanted to go out was that I wanted to get a new receiver for the family room.  Since we bought the new projector in the fall, I have wanted to upgrade things, and Boy let me borrow one of his PS4's so we could have Netflix, Hulu and all those other options to watch on the big screen.  The connections weren't great because my old receiver is about 15 years old and did not have any HDMI ports.  The one I bought does and makes connections much easier.  I thought the price of the receiver was fair with all the connections and ability to grow, it can even be connected thru bluetooth to our phones.
    I know none of the things I got were necessities, but fuck, I am tired of being locked up at home.  This were just a few quick things we got to make our "prison" more palatable.  I was glad that it is now mandatory for everyone to be wearing masks and like at IKEA, there were several stations with hand sanitizer which I squirted on my hands even as I wore gloves.  It is only the morning, but I can already tell, the curtains to finish darkening the family room are going to be great.  Also, I am keeping the old receiver because the speakers outside by the pool are connected to it and I can have that on and be outside, or the boys could entertain their friends while movies can be enjoyed and listened to inside on the new receiver, so overall I call it a win/win.

No comments:

Post a Comment