Tuesday, July 21, 2020

7/20/20 Cascading Problems Continue?

    Well, we lost the Heat Recovery Unit which was feeding hot water to the water heater yesterday.  After deciding to save a buck and not get it fixed, but instead going a short route and bypassing it to save $2000, we now have to get a new water heater.  There was a leak by the air conditioners yesterday, which I noticed while we cut the grass and Boy made me really look at the systems.  I was sure it was the moisture taken out of the house which normally wets the yard around the A/C units in the summer.  Upon further inspection, it was actually a lot of water and it was coming from a box on the wall I was not even sure what it was supposed to do.
    I called an A/C guy, he explained what it is and how it works but he said a plumber needed to do the work due to licensing and bonding and stuff.  I then called a plumber, he was a nice guy I chit chatted with him the whole time, he explained why he was doing what he was doing, which I like to learn when I can.  The raping at the end was rough, he did about 15 minutes of work and charged us $536, with a $50 discount for being a first time customer.  Oh well, what are you going to do?
    At night, Wife complained that we didn't have heat to shower.  I told her maybe it's because the heater was drained and it'll take it overnight to heat back up.  We showered in lukewarm water, at best, good thing it is the middle of summer and it isn't cold.  Today (Sunday), in the morning, I came downstairs to look at the ice maker, another problem that arose, but I noticed that we had no warm water in the kitchen faucet.  Javalina showered and so did Wife and both complained about not having hot water.  At this point, I was sure the ice maker just got confused because the water was shut off.  I took everything out of the freezer and put it into our bigger stand up freezer so I could really focus on the problem without worrying of the food and ice.  I cleaned the floor with the vacuum and a wet towel to pick up all the dirt and dust under there.  In the middle of this, we ran to drop off Javalina to visit with his friends.  When we got back, I went to open the freezer and the door about fell off.  I am not sure if Boy did this, he was helping me.  This allowed me to get to the ice maker up close and remove it from the wall.  I found the inlet hose plugged with frozen ice which I poked at with a screw driver and it broke up.  I assume the ice maker is now fixed, water filled the tray, just waiting to hear the sound of the ice falling out and making noise.
    While dropping off Javalina, we stopped at Lowe's to look at the water heaters.  The process really sucks.  I wanted a tankless heater, they didn't have any electric versions in stock and the guy tells me they do not have anything to do with installing them.  This dissuaded me, I don't want to spend the day tomorrow looking for a plumber to install it.  I chose a 50 gallon electric version, which they had plenty in stock.  The heater itself is only $419.  The install however, the guy originally said "about $1600, plus the heater itself."  I was shocked and pissed, but what can you do?  I asked him if he could get me a credit extension, and they did.  I just bought a new dryer which we haven't even gotten the statement to pay and I have only had the card about a year.  They increased my limit way too much, but it allows me to do what I have to.  Once I got that in order, I told the guy there to ring it all up.  Turns out the install was only $969 plus the unit at $419 and taxes, the overall cost was $1400 and change.  After hearing the first numbers, this sounded cheap.  The placards in the store say 24 hour install if ordered M-F before noon, so I am hoping it will be installed tomorrow or Tuesday, the latest.

No comments:

Post a Comment