Monday, July 13, 2020

7/13/20 Diet Update?

    I am getting tired of writing about commies and violence on the streets so I guess I will give an update on my dieting efforts.  I have been able to lose about 22 pounds so far.  I weighed myself this morning and was back down to 410.  At my heaviest, I saw 432 on the scale.  It is both a good start to reaching my goal and at the same time not enough to go around rewarding myself or patting myself on the back.  I have been here before, but the big difference this time is that Wife has finally bought in and agreed to join me.  I guess Javalina didn't want to get left behind as he said he would also join in, which makes it easier because we are all eating the same thing, but also more expensive because eating Atkins or keto or whatever you want to call it is a lot more expensive.
    The hardest thing for me to let go was the sweets.  I can sit around and eat a whole cake in an afternoon if I am left to my own devices, or sometimes I would go buy mexican pastries "pan dulce" and since nobody else in the house likes it, I would sit and eat 3-4 pieces at a time.  We had a "candy bowl " on the island but instead we had been filling it with pastries like Little Debbie snack cakes and or oatmeal cream pies and I would start my mornings with a cup of coffee and at least 3 of those things.  I am happy to say, the bowl has had the same handful of pastries left in there now for at least a month.  Nobody else in the house really eats junk food like that.  I am proud of myself that like on Father's Day even after I told Boy not to, he went and bought a couple of cakes at Whole Foods.  I was good enough to not tear into them and although it sounds bad, we threw away more than 3/4 of both cakes, he and Sweetie may have had a slice.  Normally, I would have finished the rest.  Same thing is going on with a peach cobbler he and Sweetie made a couple days ago.  About 3/4 of it is still in the pan.  I had a fork full and it is very good, but I can't break down and eat it.
    Wife's biggest weakness is pastas.  She loves stuff like spaghetti, noodles, lasagna and that was hard for her to get past.  Since we are doing it together, it makes it easier because she can't say "well I cooked regular food for you and it is just easier to eat that."  There have been days she longs for certain things, but we just end up fighting thru the cravings.  Finding the Breyer's low carb ice cream in vanilla and chocolate has been really key because I am able to just about end every night with a little cup (I have a specific little cup I use), and I am not trying to eat a whole bowl at a time now.  This helps hit the sweet craving I get and is usually my reward for getting through the day.
    I have only been able to get out on the bicycle twice, the second time being this past Sunday, but we did go a lot further than the first time.  I chose not to do it today because the temperature was up near 107 and I just think that is ridiculous and asking for trouble.  It should be around 10 degrees cooler tomorrow, so hopefully, Javalina and I can go in the late afternoon.  I am really doing that to strengthen my legs as they feel weak after my knee problems.  I won't bring up the diet again until I lose another 15-20 pounds.  It might be going slower, but I don't mind the changes to our diets right now, I feel as though I am helping keep the diabetes away by not drowning in sugar every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment