Friday, August 9, 2019

8/9/19 Javalina Quit The Band

    So it happened, Javalina has decided to keep his skills focused solely on the football field.  Initially, we had told him we wanted him to do both, Wife was behind this.  I have always wanted them to do what makes them happy.  I think it was for nostalgia's sake that Wife wanted him to keep burning the band candle since we were both in band in high school.  After we talked about it, he wanted to know how I felt about it.  I told him honestly, I would have liked for either you or your brother to really have gotten behind the saxophone and gotten consumed by the idea of being the best at it.  I would never want to force you to do it simply because I did it in high school.  Saying that, though, I really need you to find something you are going to be passionate about.
    Boy had me a little disappointed coming out of junior high as he had chosen not to do band and then he decided he didn't want to play football in high school, leaving him for a short time without any extracurricular activities.  Until he found robotics and later the rockets programs.  These two things defined Boy in high school, coming up to launch events, he might stay at the school until 10:00pm, doing this and that to prepare for any given launch.  He has turned into that young man, last night he was preparing his 3D printer for another project and I can still sense that kid working with his rockets, putting shit together and making sure everything is just right.
    Now to you, Javalina, what is going to be that thing that defines you?  I am perfectly fine if you are going to be our big strong football player, but you have to really commit.  I want to see you getting it on with the weights.  I don't want to hear excuses and I don't want to see you taking short cuts.  Those guys that look impressive with all those muscles work on it in the gym, if you are going to be about athletics, then take the right steps and get serious about lifting weights, it's the only way to get any advantage out on the field.
    On the one hand, I was having a problem with how long his days were, going from 7:15am until 4:00pm, but since I am his ride and now I have to get up in the middle of my sleep routine to go and get him, that is really going to hurt me.  Still, I will just have to get back home and focus on going to sleep for another couple hours.  Like it or not, school starts in a week and a half, so it will just be mostly next week that it will hurt.  Once school starts, it will probably be 6:00pm when I am picking him up, after football practice.
    Last time I will mention this, but his campus is a bit far.  I really wish he had chosen Akins High School which is across the street from our house and Boy used to walk back and forth.  In the time it took me to drop him off at school, Wife took off at the same time headed to San Antonio for a conference or something, she made it to San Marcos.  I can't imagine the craziness of having to drive through at least three school zones and all the parents trying to drop off their kids.  I can imagine it is going to suck a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment