Wednesday, August 7, 2019

8/7/19 Javalina Thinking About Quitting Band?

    I thought it was a little funny yesterday morning that Javalina asked me if I could pick him up around 11:30am, after football practice.  I said no, that is when I am sleeping, I don't want to come down here in the middle of my sleep, I don't get enough of it as it is.  He said fine, I asked him why?  He just said he is real tired and would like to go back to bed and out of the heat.
    I understand if he wants to get out of the heat, it is so miserable during the day.  90 is tolerable and that is what we were seeing during the start of summer, in June.  This plus 100 weather, though, is something else.  It just burns to be outside, the car takes forever to cool off, and these poor kids are out there marching and learning where to be standing and when to move.  The cool thing is they have the formation of their marching routines on an app on their phones, so he can see where and what is being attempted.  I believe he can highlight the specific dot that represents him and he can see what he has to do.  They are using a similar program for football and he can see where he is and where he has to go on any given play.
    So after I picked him up, we went and ate at Whataburger and he was telling me that he felt with football taking up his mornings until 11:00am, he won't get a chance to learn everything for his marching responsibilities.  He doesn't want to be "that guy" that screws up and makes the band look bad.  I told him not to make any decisions on his own.  He should talk to the band director to see if she agrees with his mode of thinking.  The band director may agree that there are not enough hours in the day to fit both activities into a schedule or she may say that the band is way ahead of schedule and that you are doing so good, you'll be ready for marching contest time.
    I only have a problem in that it is a lot of hours that he is having to give into his programs.  Monday to Friday 7:15am to 4:00pm is more than a regular 40 hour schedule for a working adult and he is doing it for free.  I know he loves the football part, so he won't give that up, but he sees how serious some of the band students are and I guess he feels like he is not as committed as they are and he does not want to be a mistake on those kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment