Thursday, August 29, 2019

8/29/19 Perhaps I Will Get That Waterfront Lot?

    This weekend when we got together for the various birthdays, my brother in law brought up the idea of selling the lot we currently own and perhaps buying something on the coast or at least closer to a true waterfront property.  I told him I would love that idea, but I don't know if I can afford that just now.  He said it would take a while to sell the lot we currently own and then again some time to find a lot that would be agreeable for all.  I said "well, the guy next door has been wanting the land, sell it to him for what $10,000?"  I was told NO! right away.  Apparently, the land has appreciated and is worth something like $25-35 thousand.  I was not ready to believe this, but I was looking through Zillow today and many lots in the area where ours is around Canyon Lake are going for $28,000 up to $40,000, and what I saw was that a lot of those weren't even cleared of trees.  Ours has already been cleared, so it should be worth at least that much, if those are selling.
    Wife was telling me that my brother in law is possibly headed to the coast (apparently, they found a company to come clean our lot for us and that is going to be done on Friday, hopefully, for under $200, which we are splitting three ways, anyhow)  I only mention the cleaning because that is what I thought we were going to be doing this weekend.  I was then also looking at Zillow and found a couple of interesting lots.  The best looking one for what I am imagining so far is in Palacios, Texas.  It is waterfront, looking out into a bay with nothing but water, and the lot is $60,000 but it has a twin lot and both lots can be bought for $100,000, which means my brother in law could have his own.  If we get $30,000 from the ones we already have and split the other $60-70k, I hope we can talk them down, we could be looking at $20k per household and we would have what I want.  If we did just the one lot, well the cost would be half as much, but I would almost want to do it by myself.
    I can't afford to build a house on the lot, but when I do retire, I would love to have a house sitting on the water's edge, a boat at the ready, and no excuses to go out anytime I want.  I don't envision a large house, a small cottage on stilts is what I imagine, just cozy enough for us and possibly the boys and their families if they wanted to join on a given weekend.  I have brought up this idea with my folks and siblings and they have always just kind of laughed at me, but I think it's something we can make come true.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment