Friday, April 26, 2019

4/26/19 Last Track Meet Was As Rewarding As A Warm Fart?

    Javalina is fast becoming the king of talking hype.  He was promising us he would be throwing 40ft by the end of the season, but he never really got a chance to really get going.  Track and Field season came and went as fast as last year.  For the second year in a row, it seemed like they (the schools) just went through the motions of making the last meet something wonderful.  They could have made it on a Saturday, first of all.  Second, they could have acted like they cared about the field events at least a little more.  The field events were scheduled for Wednesday this week, but we had those horrible rains coming through and the day was cancelled.  They held the track events on Thursday like the field events never mattered.  My son spent a long time working on his shotput technique, I would have liked seeing him in a real competition against more than 1-2 schools at a time.
    I can say that his best throw at home was close to 34 feet.  I saw him throw over 31 feet at practice at least once, so he had the ability if he could focus.  But mannnn, those little girls were constantly breathing around him.  I mean it has to be a double edged sword, for him.  On the one hand, you do the activity to get the attention from the girls, but then they distract you while you are trying to do it, so you can't be as good as when you are alone.  But anyway, all this does not matter as the final track meet was just that, running events.  I love and cheer for my son, but he is built to protect the putzes that are supposed to run these fast relays, not run in their stead.
    In the end, it was his QB running in the first heat and winning the 100 meter dash and Javalina in the third heat and coming in last in the 100 meter dash.  He was removed this week from the 200 meter dash, which I say good, because he stayed way behind on that one.  In the 100 meter, he was only 4-5 seconds behind the leader.
    All I can say is I agree with that song that says "it's better to be a loser, than a spectator."  To try and fail means you went through a tempering, win or fail, you come out the other end a better person.  We all knew he wouldn't win any running events, but hopefully, he is a little faster for next year.  I am hoping he picked up some tips, like when he was told to run on the tips of his feet, or that he needs to lift his legs more.  I was opened up to a whole new chapter on ways to increase speed which we will be going over this summer.  Like I said, everything we do, is to make a better football player.  I am trying to put in his head that now that he is hovering around 220pounds, he might even be a better fit at line backer, which is a more glorified position.  He still insists he belongs in the trenches pushing himself around all the other strong boys.
    So we wait another year, to see what he can do in the shotput in competition.  All I can say is I am excited at his potential and love of competing.

No comments:

Post a Comment