Wednesday, April 10, 2019

4/10/19 The Idea Of Wife Taking A Job On The Coast Is Tantalizing?

    Wife sort of came out of left field with this one on Saturday, but she asked me what I thought of her applying for a job in either Galveston or Port Aransas?  My first question was well, how much is the pay?  It would have to be substantial to overcome the fact that she is living for free at my parent's house, but would have to pay rent to stay anywhere on the coast.  She said the pay for either city is between $110,000 and $120,000, which is a significant amount more than what she gets paid right now.
    I would prefer her to come back home, but if that is not an option, then I like this idea of having a place and a reason to go down to the coast.  We have talked about it before and we both like the idea of retiring down somewhere on the coast, so if we planned it right, we could buy a smaller home which could be our "retirement place" in another 20 years or so.  I waste no time, I have been looking non-stop since she mentioned this to all the housing options down there.
    We could keep it simple, like Wife said, she could just stay in our RV.  I have seen several lots backing to canals where they are set up with a large concrete pad and a roof where an RV can be parked.  This would be pretty awesome, specially if we were on a canal and then we bought a boat to use there.  If it were up to me, I would then like the idea of buying a house on stilts.  These seem to be more popular in Galveston, but basically, the house is built 10-13ft. off the ground, to avoid flooding problems.  This then leaves a huge shady area to park cars, grill, have some lawn furniture in the shade and by being up high, there is usually a better view.  The only thing that could make this better would be a stilts house on a canal or bay lot to get that boat parking right behind the house.
    I wouldn't be opposed to her getting a small condo, it seems safer from a burglarizing standpoint.  If Wife was going to live alone, being in a high rise building with neighbor's might just be safer, and some of these buildings are waterfront with awesome views of the water.
    I don't know if she will actually apply, she always has so many things going on at once that there might not be enough hours in the day.  Lately, I feel like I need a change of scenery, maybe I could go down there and start a new job.  Maybe this is what I need to sleep a full night, a job that requires me to think

No comments:

Post a Comment