Tuesday, April 23, 2019

4/23/19 Easter Sunday?

    We have always spent Easter at my folk's home and this year was no different.  The big difference was that since we figured we can come and go in one day, we went ahead and tried it.  I don't know how everyone else felt about it, but I like the idea of sleeping on my bed the day before and the day of the trip.
    Originally, we had decided on leaving between 7:00am and 8:00am, but I didn't get up until 6:30am and it took me awhile to start snapping, so I just sat here, staring at the computer screen.  Eventually, it got to 8:30am and I decided that we needed to move, so I went upstairs to wake up Wife and Javalina.  Boy had already said he wouldn't join us.  He decided it would be a better use of his time to go with his GF.  Normally, I would not have liked this, but we did get him for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's Eve last year.  If this is the trade-off, I think I can live with it.  First we enjoyed our little Easter baskets, then we got ready to go.  It is a lot easier to get ready for a trip when it is only a day trip, no overnight bag to worry about, although I did miss my old ratty shirts which I prefer wearing around the house, but oh well.
    The road was pretty bland, Wife and I talked for awhile, Javalina spread out in the back seat as best as he could.  He thought it would be a good idea to stay up all night, and when I saw him last it was about 5:00am and he was still awake, but he was hard asleep at 6:30am.  I also played with my new earphones and even fell asleep listening to music on Spotify through my phone.  Wife then woke me on the outer city limits of San Antonio to  gas up, we did and then continued on our way.
    We got to my folks early enough that the grill had not yet been turned on, but my dad was sitting outside enjoying an almost perfect day, not too hot and not too cold.  By the end of the day, the only negative was all the flies that gather when you try to have food outside, but overall everything was still great.  I love eating chunks of meat off the grill and my brother asked me to try the ribs as they were getting done.  I must have eaten half a rack before everything was taken off the two grills, and Javalina caught on and came around to take a couple too.  My aunts and uncle showed up then my sister showed up and she got a little lively specially when my brother brought out an 18yr old bottle of whiskey.  It was quite good, without that bitter alcohol taste younger scotches and whiskeys have.  I am not an expert but this one was almost yummy with a smell of orange peel.
    After we ate, my mom and sister put out eggs for the kids to find with candies and some had a little money.  The kids had a fun time rounding them up.  The last thing they did was break the cascarones on everyone's heads.  These are the eggs filled with confetti, although I am not sure which part of Jesus's life this represents, although it is fun, specially for the kids who get to bully the adults for once.  The funniest moment might have been when all the little kids overwhelmed my always serious younger brother and they got him running around the yard as he avoided the eggs getting broken on his head.
    We finally got ready and got going probably close to 7:00pm.  I honestly knew I wouldn't be good for much as I was already sleepy before getting in the car.  I was probably asleep before getting out of town.  Thankfully, Wife got us back in one piece and for that, I am letting her sleep in and trying my hardest not to bother her on her day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment