Friday, April 12, 2019

4/12/19 Make Excursion Great Again?

    Borrowing from our great President I need a hat with MEGA.  I am going to Make my Excursion Great Again.  I have been looking at new vehicles and I really don't want to start over with new payments while I still drive what I think is the best ride ever.  It has a couple things that need attention though and since we (Wife, mostly) decided I should just drive this a while longer, I will go ahead and make some repairs.
    The ugliest thing to look at is the front seats.  They are leather but because they are now like 16 years old, they have just worn through and both of them on their outer edges, closest to the doors, they have ugly holes.  I was thinking of just getting seat covers, but they always look generic.  I then thought about just replacing the leather, with the beauty of the internet, everything is just a call away.  I found the seat leathers within minutes and they are pricey at $120.00 just for the part where you sit on, but it is genuine leather and supposed to match OEM parts (Original Equipment Manufacturer), so they should look like I went to Ford to redo them.  At one point a few years ago I had gone to Ford and they had told me it would be like $1000 to redo them or something crazy.
    The next part is installing them and I found a YouTube video (of course there is a video), but man, they take the seat completely apart and that just seems to scream technical problems to me.  The seat has to be removed, the electric components have to be removed, the back has to be removed from the seat, there are hog rings keeping the seat from sliding around and keeping it in place.  This is why I hadn't done it a couple years ago.  Last night, I kept watching the video and then I started looking through the comments to see if others thought it was overkill like I did, but it ended up being helpful in that they have a page that has recommended installers depending on where you live and there is one about two miles from the house.  I went and talked to him this morning and he said if I ordered the leathers, he would install them for $85 a seat.  After seeing all the work, that just sounds like a bargain to me.  I came directly home and ordered the two leathers at a price of like $237.  I can't wait to see my big beast looking all shiny and new-ish on the inside.  I might even clean it with some Armor-All afterwards.  Maybe even wash the carpet at a car wash with the soap option.
    I think I could keep driving it for another few years, in four years it would get to 20 years, who is going to give me shit on it being bad for the environment if it has survived your 3-4 Priuses, or whatever?  I might even get brave and repaint the roof.  It is the only place where the paint is starting to go and like on a balding old man, it really shows its age there, otherwise, to me, it is still very much in its prime.

No comments:

Post a Comment