Sunday, September 2, 2018

9/2/18 It's Gonna Be Another Long Year?

    Wife wanted to go here and there yesterday, on Saturday.  I was more like 'yeah, after the Longhorns game we'll do whatever you want." The Longhorns were supposed to play from 11:00am until around 2:30pm.  I got up at 7:00am, did the husband/wife thing for a few minutes, then got up to come downstairs.  Javalina was already up and I offered him donuts, to come with me to get some at the corner donut place.  I had meant to change the spark plugs on Wife's car, so I thought I should get them to do that, as well.  I went upstairs to get my shorts and wallet and told Wife our plans.  She had planned on sleeping until the Longhorns game was over.  This gave her a new mindset, now she wanted to go have breakfast with her boys.  We got dressed and went to Bill Miller which was way more packed than normal.  We go in there about once a week, and usually we are there alone or with maybe another table or two having someone.  Today, there must have been a full house, most of the tables had people on them.  We managed to find a table, and ate a big breakfast before 11:00am.  I had a plate with brisket, eggs, beans, hash browns, and pancakes.  Wife had a couple tacos and some pancakes, Javalina had a couple tacos.
    We got back home just in time for the kickoff at 11:00am.  Right away, it felt like the Horns were not in control.  I know it sounds elitist, but the Longhorns are supposed to be a superior program.  We are smack in the center of Texas and that should allow us to choose the best football players in all of Texas, as Austin is about a 3-4 hour drive from most anywhere in Texas.  Add to that, the school made $215 million, tops in the Big 12.  Maryland, meanwhile is 2nd to last in the Big 10 and barely made $94.9million.  They are also up near Baltimore and New York, not exactly known as a region that produces football players, shoot, most rosters from any state have a few Texas kids on them.  Oklahoma sometimes manages to steal a third of their teams rosters from Texas.  How about OSU in 2016 with 70 of their allotted ~105 kids from Texas?  Just saying, Texas is loaded with talent, more so than most other states, except maybe California.
    As soon as I noticed Maryland taking over, my full belly took over and I napped, seeing only about half the 1st quarter.  Wife called me to come lay in bed, she knew I had fallen asleep sitting on the sofa.  I slept through what would have been the whole game, but the football gods put a rain delay in the game of almost 2 hours.  I woke up at 4:00pm or so and the game was just starting the 4th quarter.  Maryland ran down the field, scored a field goal to go up by 5.  Perfect, if Texas could rally and make a long slow drive in about 6 minutes, they would win with a TD.  Nope, QB1 threw an interception.  The defense was stout, stopped Maryland right away, Horns got the ball back, now they had 4 minutes, if they could muster a TD, they could still win.  Nope, the running back fumbled the ball.  The defense stopped them again, they punted and the return guy even brought the ball back to almost midfield.  Come on guys, two minute hurry up offense!  Score 1 TD and you win.  Nope, QB1 threw another interception.  I'm sorry, but at some point try another quarterback, what do you have to loose?  If you don't give them playing time, they might leave to another team and then there you will be.  A freaking +$200 million program with no real reason to be worth that much.  I don't know why they still make that kind of money, it has been almost ten years since the McCoy era.
    Go get in your bubble and tell us the excuses why a dinky program from the north has beat your sorry asses two years in a row?  This is supposed to be a practice squad to work out the kinks, not a yearly swift kick in the ass to remind you, your shit does indeed stink.

No comments:

Post a Comment