Wednesday, September 12, 2018

9/12/18 Lamar Scotties, Three Girls To Zero?

    Javalina and the boys were back on the field once again.  Everything was perfect, except the score.  I got up a little late, at 5:15pm and quickly jumped in the shower.  I looked outside and it was raining kind of hard, so much so, that Girlie had said she was going to join us, but backed out thinking we were going to be sitting in rain and she didn't feel great.  I showered and got the call from Wife that she had gotten on the road at 4:00pm.  She cut it close, as it takes her about three hours to get back to town, but she managed to get to the game with 1 minute remaining on the 7th grade game.  I gathered my Frogskin (a waterproof poncho), a towel, a camera, and my fancy stadium chair I bought a couple weeks ago and headed off by myself.  Boy, surprisingly called about half an hour before game time and he made it in on time too, with girlfriend in tow.
    I still hate that they sit all of us on the same side, leaving our boys on the opposite side with no people to cheer for them behind them, it doesn't seem right.  On a positive note, the skies opened up and I could not ask for more perfect weather for a football evening.  I saw on my phone 76 degrees at kickoff, with a slight breeze, and the grey and thunder clouds painting beautiful mosaics in the sky as it darkened.  Our boy played a ton, I want to believe he is one of the leaders, as he says.  He played kick off return, nose guard on defense, and in the 2nd half he even played center on offense.  I wish his pants would have been part of his ensemble, as he fought those freaking things all afternoon.  For some reason he doesn't have a belt and they keep wanting to come off, so almost every second he wasn't playing, he was pulling his pants up, like those idiot hood kids who walk with their pants below their asses and then have to pull them up to take a fast step.
    The most surprising thing for me was that the other team had three girls on the team and they actually played.  Two of them were out there as defensive backs, and the other came in and out various times.  I find this quite dangerous, for them.  There is very little chance a girl is going to accelerate and crash into my son and hurt him, but one of the faster boys could turn a corner and knock one of these girls out, some impacts even at this grade level make one say "ooh".  I know we are in a stupid period of political correctness that is nearing a sway back to normal as it has gone on too long, but just watch, one of these girls is going to get really hurt one of these days, boys break necks and arms, when it happens to a girl, it is going to be a travesty and the media will shit over itself to tell us how dangerous football is.
    Regardless, I concede, even with the girls, the other team played better, they tackled better, they played as a team, they deserved the win.  I was very happy on how Javalina played as center.  Center is one of those "no excuses" positions.  When in the shotgun formation, you have to hike the ball five yards behind you, watch for defensive linemen in your face and even linebackers and ends blitzing which you also have to take care of.  He did not screw up any of the snaps and was quite comfortable on the offensive line.  He needs more "animal" in him on defense.  I really think he is scared of hurting people.  Too many times when there was a pile forming, or the play slowing down in front of him, he would not involve his 250 pounds, which can always help the team.  I want to see him dive on fools, not to hurt them, but a heavy boy falling on you might make you think about going his way.  He did get burned badly on one of the last plays where the QB came and bounced off him and kept going for a score.  He said all game long, they would run away from him, and when he came at him, he was surprised and could not grab him from anywhere, so he slid off.
    First thing tomorrow, I need to go find him a belt he can put on those football pants so he can quit screwing around, I had told him before, but he is such a weirdo.  He kept saying no.  Now that he saw how much the pants affect him, now he is mad we hadn't done something about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment