Thursday, May 3, 2018

5/3/18 My Parent's Wedding Anniversary?

    I guess we screwed the pooch as they say and we missed another anniversary of my parents.  The only person I can blame here is Wife for making these things bigger than they ever used to be.  Unfortunately for my Mom, she has three boys and a sister who is always trying to outman us in being a professional.  This can be great for having kids that are doing better than ok in life, but it doesn't leave much space for us to be the type that want to celebrate every holiday on the calender.  I'm sure Wife has a tree in her car trunk getting ready to exchange it with her sisters for Arbor Day.
    Wife makes us look bad, because she comes from a family of three sisters and 1 brother.  To top it off, the other two sisters live at home, so they are very involved in each other's business.  It can be annoying at times, especially in the beginning of the year, it seems there is a birthday for someone every weekend.  Wife of course knows all these dates by heart.  I gotta look up and think for a minute just to get my boy's birthdates correctly in my mind.
    I also know it would be fun to celebrate, but to me celebrating is meeting us at least halfway, in San Antonio or even all the way up here in Austin.  There are like 3 restaurants in Crystal, if you include the Pizza Hut, so nobody is going to be getting fancy for some tacos.  A few years ago, we tried organizing something.  I told Wife, take the lead, give everybody a chore and tell them what they are responsible for.  This worked up until my sister got wind that she wasn't in charge and well,,,, we're still waiting for that party to get organized.
    Honestly, Wife and I have never done much in the way of celebrating.  Our anniversary falls on Christmas is all I'm going to say.  Wife will say it was Christmas Eve, I might think it's Christmas Day, but either way, it's not like we get dressed and go out to celebrate.  I'm afraid we are going to fall into the same pattern as my parents.  With two boys, nobody is going to give a crap about remembering those milestones.
    I believe my Mom said "everyone forgot our 47th anniversary, except for Wife, even your dad."  I guess we have about three years to do something right for their 50th, that would be nice.  But I'm sure there will be baseball games and other distractions to go along with this time of year.  So, what say you?  Should anniversaries be made into bigger affairs or is it too much to do about a day you agreed to share the bills with someone else, for better or for worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment