Friday, May 11, 2018

5/11/18 Not Sure About A Drive-In?

    We actually grew up with the experience of going to a drive-in.  There was one outside of town, about halfway between Crystal City and Carrizo Springs.  It was kind of cool, I still have blurry images of watching  something like Buck Rogers or a Star Trek movie out there.  There was even a row of swings and they sold popcorn and stuff, very much like in the scene from Grease, maybe I made that my thought as I remember it, but there was no cool soundtrack.
    Wife has been bringing up the idea anytime we have kind of a slow weekend.  The biggest hurdle for me is that it is in New Braunfels, the one she keeps looking at.  That just seems a bit far to go and watch a movie outside when we could just as easily ask Boy to get us free tickets and we don't have to pack food for the journey and we can be back home in 5-10 minutes.  There is one in Manchaca, which is around where we live but I believe it only shows older movies and might just be some guy with a blanket and a projector, I kid, but it looks smaller, just from the ads.  The New Braunfels location costs I believe $7 a person and we can bring our own food, so worst case we are looking at $21 (Boy is too cool to join us) plus they show two new movies for the price of one.  They were thinking of Avengers followed by some creepy scary movie, which is helping no one, but I could sleep through the second one, not that I want to see the Avengers get killed as I wrote yesterday.
    If we are going to do it, the time is meow (Super Troopers was showing last week, should have gone)!  Once the summer sets in, no way do I want to sit in 100 degree heat at night, sweating my ass off and fighting mosquitos and other shit.  The nighttime air has been awesome recently, every time I go home for lunch, I want to hang out and enjoy it, but we live as slaves to that thing called a clock.  Shit, we don't even have windows, our lab is actually three walls in from the outside, so there is hardly any chance for me to enjoy natural air, almost anytime during my work week.
    Maybe for that reason alone, I should agree.  We have cool chairs that fold up and are made to go to the park and will hold my heavy ass, Javalina would probably enjoy the change of scenery, as long as we have the right snacks.  Hmm, I seem to be talking myself into agreeing.  I keep being told "don't be lame, like your father, always naysaying, so I should say fine.  It could even be cheaper than Alamo Drafthouse, even with free tickets, it's usually more than $50-$60 bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment