Wednesday, May 16, 2018

5/16/18 Passing The Buck Proves You're Not A Leader?

    I am all into this mini drama going on with Wife at work, because the other guy was a good friend of mine for a couple of years back when we were in school.  It is surprising how people will behave in public to attempt to look like they are in control of everything.  After being talked to, he still managed to repeat his bad habit of blaming others for his shortcomings.  I think it is much more honorable to take the blame even when it hurts.  People will see that you are the kind of guy that isn't there to be perfect.  After all, we are human, none of us can say we are perfect.  I have screwed up samples here at work, and it hurts me to report myself, but you do it and you move on.  Worst case, somebody has to call our customer and ask for another sample or in some cases we give them free work, it is not the end of the world.
    A slightly similar thing at the house on a much smaller scale, but I have been telling Boy to clean his room.  I was in there looking around and all our dishes are disappearing, well, the turd is holding them hostage for some reason.  I was in there talking to him, told him to at least get the dishes downstairs, I don't want a bunch of roaches thank to your dirty ass.  He took them down, without bothering to wash them, so I go home and I wash them as I curse him out in my head because I went home in the middle of the night and everyone is asleep.  The next day I said "what the hell, leaving all your freaking dishes for me to wash, that is a dick move?"  He just plainly says "It wasn't me."  I called bullshit.  Nothing pisses me off more than lying.
    Few people are born leaders, but if I could give advice to those wishing to lead from the top:
1.)  Surround yourself with competent people and let them do their thing. 
2.)  Don't lift yourself up by standing on the ones that make you great. 
3.)  Accept your limitations, don't think that because you are the boss, you should only present us with positive feedback.
4.)  Be human.  One of my supervisors was hard to deal with until he relaxed and started sharing about himself and the trouble with his kids, he also had to babysit like I did when not at work.
5.)  Take the blame.  That is what a leader does, he accepts responsibility and then assures you of improvements so such and such will not happen again.

No comments:

Post a Comment