Monday, January 8, 2018

1/8/18 Two Weeks Off?

    I just finished two weeks off and I can't say I feel brand new or that I have had any new revelations from so much rest.  The first week I did nothing but the minimum amount of existing.  We slid past Christmas and all the last minute shopping and food getting then we went home and stayed there, sleeping until it hurt, getting up for a little leftover eating and back to sleeping and lounging for a good five days.  I can honestly say this was the first time I did this and it was going great, selfishly waiting for my folks to come visit me.  I am not a total monster, I did plan on visiting them the first week between Christmas and New Year's but there was a little family drama so mom said she would come up and visit us.  I love my boys, they are happy to be home and play video games and such, or if we decide to go eat, they are ok with that.  I rarely hear them whine about not liking what they are doing.  That being said, we went the whole first week without going to a restaurant which is very rare for us.  I was so out of it that by the time I looked up the Longhorns bowl game to try and catch it, I had already missed it by a day.  We spent all our waking time watching our recorded shows on TV or going to the movies which Boy has us completely spoiled at the Alamo Drafthouse.
    The second week of our vacation started and once we were past New Year's Eve I figured I would spend the next week in the same warm-ups debating whether to shower or not for the day.  It was glorious, then tragedy struck.  First, it was the call that my uncle had been taken to the hospital which was ominous with no other knowledge of what had happened.  It was right in the middle of those super cold days, so we couldn't just up and leave down there and risk an accident of our own that night.  A few hours later my Mom called and just her calling after 10:00pm which she never does, I knew it wasn't going to be a good phone call.  She let us know that my uncle had passed away earlier.  What can you say on the phone to make the person feel better.  She has called me like that with other family members and I feel bad, but Fred was from the inner circle, one of the few I always saw when I went down.  My mom is very close with two of her sisters and her brother and this was the husband of one of those sisters who is always around.  I have already recounted the events of arriving and experiencing the funeral, which left us tired and worn out, like we didn't spend the whole first 8-9 days being bums.
    Such is life, we live with the ups and downs.  I know I will carry this close to the heart and still feel that overwhelming feeling to tear up, but work will beat that out of me.  Work has a way of taking up all our free time and making itself a priority in our lives.  As much as I don't want to forget ole Fred, the distraction of work will help keep me moving and focusing on other more immediate emergencies.  I feel like I need a couple more days to rest from the last couple of days.  Too bad the next break is probably on Spring Break in March.  Two weeks was not enough, this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment