Monday, January 15, 2018

1/15/18 Life Insurance?

    I hate talking and thinking about our demise, but none of us live forever.  After the funeral in the family last week, we were left with things to discuss, such as life insurance.  How much is enough?  My brother who is doing ok financially likes to tell us that everyone should have at least a million dollar plan, in case something happens to the main bread winner.  He has set up his household where he is the only one working, which I would never agree to do.
    After mulling over the idea and then having Wife start her little song and dance, I looked at what we got.  I always pick out the best plan from my perspective of being lazy.  It seems this year we could sign up for a life insurance of $100,000 if I kick the bucket this year, twice if I am traveling for work, so here's hoping I bite the bullet on a forced trip for work somewhere I didn't want to go.  There is also an additional $25,000 that the company pays for to show they care.  I would do more insurance but because of my weight, they want to give me a physical before they approve and at 400 pounds I'd rather not be told "hey, you're too fat to insure."
    I did look at insurance plans outside of work, such as through State Farm, but they can be expensive.  It is all a scam designed to make them win, unless you die early.  The insured person still loses, but I guess my kids could turn lemons into lemonade???  I looked at a $830,000 plan which the tutorial within said is what they would need to exist without me.  A term life plan which will last for twenty years pays out if you die within the twenty years.  We then have an option to continue after at a higher rate.  This one wasn't bad at $202 a month, but if doesn't do much if you live past the twenty years, signing for a longer period after wards is not going to be cheap.  Permanent life insurance for the same $830,000 is something like $1600 a month.  That is a ridiculous amount, I am sorry.  This plan says you can keep paying until age 100 and terms do not change, but at that rate, it only takes about 42 years to get to $830,000.  I know I would never save that much, if I had $300,000 sitting in my bank account I would certainly use some to buy some waterfront land.  This may seem stupid, but land is pretty much the only thing they are not making more of and it is not hard to believe Wife could sell my land for cash, when the time came, as everyone is sure of, I will be the first to croak.
    I might still consider this idea or as they told me, do a bunch of smaller $50,000 to $100,000 premiums that don't require a physical, that way they stay cheaper, and I don't get the doctor telling me things I already know.

No comments:

Post a Comment